What do you know about welders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know about welders?

I just went down to the weld shop and poised your question...

They said that might be a little on the high side, it depends on the bottles (full size cylinders?)
    You can get a new-in-the-box one for under $500... plus another $300 for the accessories.
    Also...
    How do you plan on using it?
    structural steel = trailers = STICK
    sheet metal = autobody = MIG
    aluminum = ladders = TIG
    you-name-it = arts and crafts = GAS TORCH

AND, you will want to use flux core wire with it for the best results.

Comment

Fred, are you saying that this is 3 separate welders? You might want to check the price of new units on line, but if you need them that might be a good deal.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's atually 4 seperate items...

Lincoln 175HD MIG welder.
        Gas torch oxi-Acetylene setup with large bottles, cutting and "rose bud" tips? On a cart.
        A portable oxi-Acetylene setup with empty bottles.
        Lincoln 225AC stick welder.

I think I may pass on the stick welder.

So that works out to $225 each if I get all 4.

Comment

As fas as what I'm gonna use it for...well I need to put in floors in the Daytona...so the MIG should be perfect for that.
          Never know what you might need to cut in the shop, and with the addition of a portable unit, you can cut anywhere.

I welded 1/4" 3x5" tubing for a bumper a while back with that very mig and it was more than hot enough to blow holes in the metal using flux core wire.

Comment

On the high side for used equipment. The Lincoln 175 is a sweet machine if set up for 75/25. You could use that and .023 wire to put the floors in.
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

If you pursue this buy, make sure the gas bottles have their papers with them. Not sure about your state, but here in Illinois, the local gas companies have a monopoly on gas. They won't fill bottles that they don't own, so you have to lease bottles from them. Used to be, you could buy a life time lease, but these days they only offer a 10 year lease. I had to re-up my lease a couple years ago & I think it was around 200 bucks. I had bought my torch outfit at a farm auction & if the papers hadn't been there, the purchase price would have been half of what I paid.

I also think $1000 is a little hi for used equipment. A used lincoln buzz box can ususally be found at auction for 50 to 100 dollars.
              Mike Sal

Comment

Looking on Ebay, it appears that the Lincoln 175 HD has been replaced by a 180 HD and they are selling for around $400 brand new. Perhaps $750 for the entire package is fair?
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                X