No announcement yet.

What is this part called?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is this part called?

    This is my first post to this forum. Me and my dad were lucky enough to get ahold of a 1924 Studebaker Big Six last week and while we were looking the car over the previous owner was telling us of a "whistle" that ran from the gas tank to right under the drivers seat that would start to whistle when the fuel was getting low. I was hoping that someone in here would know what this part was and what the technical name for that part was so we could try to find one. Any other information on this car would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Hi Nate,

    You might also check the Antique Studebaker Club Forum site at:
    Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI


    • #3
      Thanks for the heads up, I just left a post there now.


      • #4
        Anyone else have an idea what this would be?


        • #5
          It really does not sound like it is anything you will need to run it and drive it, a car that old usually needs a lot more important hard to find parts than any optional or aftermarket accessory item.
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner


          • #6
            These have gravity feed fuel systems. Sounds like the wrong gas cap, or a clog in a vent tube. You may be hearing the tank gasping for air. It may be something someone did (modified) to warn them when the tank is low, since there is probably not a fuel guage. I'd drive it and likely not worry if everything checks out, and it runs properly. Find a service manual, and check the car over to get familiar with it.