engine/trans mount points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine/trans mount points

On a stock 54 Stude Coupe, where were the original engine/transmission mount points? I have lost all frame of reference here as the stock 6 cyl. was swapped for a Stude V-8, and then a Chev. small block installed in the early 70's. Right now the SBC is mounted by the front of the engine like a 55-57 Chevy, and the auto trans. by the tailshaft housing. Looking at the owners manual, and shop manual of frame pictures is no help becuase I think the photos of the frames are sedans, not c/k's. It does look like there is supposed to be mounts on the rear of the engine or bellhousing, with no mounts on the tailshaft housing in a stock application...is this correct? Does that mean the stock transmissions just 'hung out' on the end of the bell housing? If so, was this the same for both auto and standard trans? Just wondering because I'm swapping the automatic for a standard and I have this frame crossmember hanging on my garage wall...I suppose it's better off to mount it back to the frame. Thanks for any insight, and/or photos. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

The front mounts on a C/K frame are longer than for a sedan and arch backwards from the front X member. For the 6, the engine mounts are on the front corners of the block. V8s are similar. The transmissions don't have a long tailshaft since stock was a 2 pc driveshaft. So the trans is not as long. There is a bolt-in cross member that sits just below the front of the firewall on the frame. It bolts in between the rails with 3 bolts on each side. I cannot recall now if the manual trans sits on the crossmember or it was on the bell housing. I do think the automatics had mounts on the bell housing though. Someone here will know for sure. All this is separate from the batwing cross member that extends out under the A pillars.

Sounds like you are keeping the SBC but changing to a manual from automatic though? I'd suspect that stock mounts won't work as-is.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff, thanks for the info...exactly what I was wondering, and yes, I'm keeping the SBC, but adding a standard trans. This now makes sense to me as the crossmember hanging on my garage wall has 3 bolt holes per side, and right now, as my car sits it has the main front crossmember with the suspension, bell crank etc. and the 'bat wing' supporting the tailshaft of the turbo 350 but with nothing inbetween. This leads me to more questions...what year did Studbaker change to the longer tailshaft transmissions and single driveshaft, and thus equipped, was the tailshaft still hanging out in mid-air, or was there another crossmember added to the frame? Thanks so much. Junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

No tailshaft support on ANY Studebaker powered Studebakers that I can think of. Yes the long tail Trans. also "hangs" in space, it is not that far from the Clutch Housing or Torque Converter Housing to main case weight of the trans. so has never been a problem, also almost all Borg Warner Trans. are cast iron and actually HAVE strength, unlike Aluminum.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Chev used the same setup '55-'57 just for your info. -Jim

Comment

Great, thanks so much for the helpful info, and guess what...I now have two more questions.

1. Other than the gauge of the metal used in all 'C' frames from 1954 to the last GT made, were there any other differences, as in the number or placement of crossmembers??
            2.Were there any differences in the height or width of the driveshaft tunnel in all Coupe/GT bodies from '53 to '64?

Thanks so much...just trying to formulate a plan for my chassis before I change transmissions. Junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

1. Other than the gauge of the metal used in all 'C' frames from 1954 to the last GT made, were there any other differences, as in the number or placement of crossmembers??
              A GT is a "K" and has the hogtroughs. I believe the mounts for the body are a little different from a C. If you have both frames, I think it can be converted.

2.Were there any differences in the height or width of the driveshaft tunnel in all Coupe/GT bodies from '53 to '64?
              '58 and later has the 1 pc driveshaft. So, the center support X member is gone and the rear tunnel under the back seat is different to allow room
              for it. I've had to modify the rear floor in my '53 to get clearance for the 1 pc shaft I have in my car. Depending on your setup, the amount of mods will vary from none to major.

Jeff in ND

Comment

'55-'57 Chevys used rear mounts on the bellhousing, similar to the studebaker. You really shouldn't use the '55-'57 Chev. front mounts with the tailshaft trans mount. The front mounts are too close to the center to be used with a center trans. mount. They relied on the bell housing mounts spaced farther out to control the twist. My '54 Stude had a '57 283 Chev. installed with the '55-'57 mounts at 4 corners. I'm putting Stude power back in. If you want you can have my old rear mount brackets. You would also need a 55-57 Chev. bellhousing and rear mounts. It might be easier to change the front mounts to '58 and later Chev. side mounts. If you want to keep the early front mounts and change the rears let me know. I can cut the brackets out of my old frame and send them to you.
                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Wow, you guys are a wealth of info. Thanks a lot. I think the next step is to get the car up in the air and make some measurements, and see if the mystery (up until today) crossmember will bolt in. I may hold off for a while because the weather is still ok for driving, and once I get into this project I know its going to take me a long while to complete it. Dwight, thanks so much for your offer for mounts, but right now it would be AWESOME if you could manage a photo of what they look like...then I'll go from there. Junior.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Junior, I'll email you some pictures this week. I have a bellhousing if you decide to go that way.

Comment

Junior, I tried some pic.s today, they didn't come out. Too bright out to get detail shooting into dark engine bay. I'll try again tomorrow. PM me your email so I can send them to you.

Comment

PM sent, thanks Dwight. Junior
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Junior, Email sent with pictures. I'll try for better ones later, Dwight

Comment

Working...
                          X