R water pump info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R water pump info needed

What is the difference between the water pumps used on standard 289 engines and the R1, 2 and 3 engines?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

The size of the "boss" around the bearing is larger and has strengthening "gussets". The pulley flange has a longer center alignment/centering nub (extension) than the standard unit to fit the Viscous Fan Drive. The Standard one will not work, an Air Conditioned Engine or a Supercharged one requires the extra strength in the bearing support.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is the manifold itself the same between the R engines and the standard 289 with just the water pump being different?

Comment

Yes. I am running a heavy duty water pump on a regular engine.

Comment

As far as Waterpump manifolds go, The JT motors are the same as the regular V8's and the JTS manifold is unique to that application. The R3 and R4 engines used the Avanti waterpump manifold no matter what body they were installed in.
          R2Andrea

Comment

All of you that ask these kind of questions could learn SOOOO much from simply reading the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog and the Jet Thrust section, you would really be amazed at how some parts you might not think are the same from one model to another ARE, and others you would not expect to be different are DIFFERENT!

But there is USUALLY good reason to make a change, otherwise a small Manufacturer can not afford to.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sorry I don't have the Chassis Parts Catalog as of yet. If I recall from looking at pictures and cars the way that the Avanti supercharger bracket bolts on is to the waterpump. Am I correct that the type of bracket will only work with the Avanti style manifold?

Thanks

Comment

The Avanti S/C bracket is designed to work with the Avanti water pump manifold and the JTS S/C bracket will only work with the matching water pump manifold.
                The Avanti blower mounts off to the right side of the engine whereas the JTS setup mounts the blower above the water pump in the center of the engine (similar to the '57 and '58 supercharged cars).
                R2Andrea

Comment

That's what I was thinking, thanks for all the quick info guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X