chasing headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chasing headers

anyone know who is making headers for a v8 259 that might fit a 60hawk??
    I can get them made locally at a price...........but it might be cheaper if I could get some shipped

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Studebaker

The Sanderson headers listed will not fit any Studebaker engine.
    You can buy header flanges from several suppliers, but nobody makes 'ready to install' Studebaker V8 'tube style' headers (except maybe a '65/'66 McKinnon V8).

Originally posted by 1960Hawk View Post
    anyone know who is making headers for a v8 259 that might fit a 60hawk??
    I can get them made locally at a price...........but it might be cheaper if I could get some shipped

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Studebaker
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-09-2010, 05:15 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Alternately, you could use the cast R3 headers, which are pretty much a bolt on to the stock exhaust pipes if you buy the matching downpipes. You'll have to prep the castings with a die grinder though because they tend to have a lot of flash in them as delivered. If you're into show type stuff you'll also want to paint them and/or have them coated.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A "lot of flash" is an understatement.

They have, for some reason, a cast in baffle that severly restricts the flow. These aren't just casting flash, these are heavy walls, at least in the 4 sets from different people I've seen, the set I have and many I've heard about.
        Also, the outlet, not round and not very big.

To get the most out of the current R3 castings, the baffles must be "properly" removed and the outlet made a little larger and round.

As far as actual tube headers, many believe they won't offer much in the way of performance. I believe in most cases this is true, but mainly because of the cylinder heads overall intake and exhaust flow...or lack there of, along with stock intake manifolds and camshafts.
        I'll be messing with building headers after I get my engine done and in the car (future..!). For the masses, again, tube headers, for a performance gain...may not be a good investment. For the "cool factor"...sure.
        Anyway, with a good set of ported heads, a higher flow intake system, yes, I do think tube headers can be usfull.
        BUT, it may have to be a very carefully designed set of headers.

Mike

Comment

Try a search. There are at least a dozen previous threads about headers.

Bottom line - headers, most will agree, are not the most cost-effective dollars spent on a hotter Stude V8. Only after one has spent the first several thousand on professional head work, camshaft, intake, carburetor, ignition, will headers show up on the to-do list.

Your car, your money, your decision.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
            A "lot of flash" is an understatement.

To get the most out of the current R3 castings, the baffles must be "properly" removed and the outlet made a little larger and round.

Mike
            In this case, would extrudehoning R3 castings be more beneficial and cost effective then fabbing tube headers?
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

junior -

NOPE.....!
              Have you priced Extrude-Hone work...!? You could probably build two sets of headers, for one set of extrude hone cast iron header work.
              Plus, you still have to remove the large...heavy baffel and smooth it. Extrude-Hone won't even come close to removing that..!!

Nope, no easy way out for a proper performing R3 header...just good ol hard work.

Mike

Comment

thanks......

moving headers to the bottom of the list

Comment

Check out this thread

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...or-Studebakers...

Comment

Working...
                  X