53 commander brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 commander brakes

does anyone know of a part number interchange for wheel cylinders or brake pads??
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Originally posted by kpcoupe View Post
    does anyone know of a part number interchange for wheel cylinders or brake pads??
    Not a direct answer, but if your 1953 brakes need rebuilding, this would be the ideal time to upgrade them. You can bolt on the 1954-1966 V8 brakes and have much better brakes. This is what I would recommend. Some may suggest to go to a disc brake conversion. I wouldn't do that unless you have a modified 1953.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

to do a swap to 54 what all is changed? everything but the spindle??
      Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Originally posted by kpcoupe View Post
        to do a swap to 54 what all is changed? everything but the spindle??
        Change them from the backing plates out (including backing plates). Just remove the whole assembly from a parts car.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To answer your original question: Just in case you want to go the original replacement method (I would not) the Brake Shoes and new Wheel Cylinders are available in fresh NEW stock only from Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

These do not interchange to anything I know of except Studebaker and if they did, they too would be obsolete.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

well i have a 57 silver hawk with all new brakes and lines and all maybe i will just swap them and hope than the additional frame that came with the 53 is a later model frame!! then i can rebuild those brakes and put them back on the 57!!! cross your fingers!!!
            Kevin Phillips
            Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

will the 57 rear hubs fit the 53 axles?
              Kevin Phillips
              Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

The outer front wheel Bearing on the '57 is smaller than the '53, I have heard that they will interchange because the Brg. INSIDE dimension did not change, but have not tried it so not sure about that. The rears should be no problem if they both have 44 axles.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X