'49 2E5 - 1 horn or 2???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '49 2E5 - 1 horn or 2???

The parts book shows 1 horn on the left and 2 horn kits were available as an accessory yet the rad frame is drilled for 2. My goal is "accurate original" without accessories. Please confirm is original 1 horn or 2?
    Thanks

A single horn was standard equipment. It was an old design with a very long trumpet/nose. Dual horns were optional, and were the much smaller, more modern style pictured in the parts book. The radiator mounts came drilled with extra holes.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      A single horn was standard equipment. It was an old design with a very long trumpet/nose. Dual horns were optional, and were the much smaller, more modern style pictured in the parts book. The radiator mounts came drilled with extra holes.
      Thanks Skip but now I'm confused - my single horn is the modern (Nautilus) type shown in the parts book but it is wearing black with green then cream (grill colour) overspray suggesting it was in the truck at the time of painting.

Comment

A mystery, to be sure. Are you sure the vehicle wasn't repainted some time in the last 60 years? I don't know enough about the assembly order to say whether or not the horn was already bolted to the radiator mount when the front end was painted. Also, the parts book shows two different single horns being used on Canadian-built 2R trucks, so maybe my statement above is wrong. Since your truck is a 1949, I was assuming your truck got the same horn as early US-built 2Rs.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
        X