Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake drums for a '64 Cruiser

Hi:
    I need a pair of front drums for a '64 Cruiser. Mine are oversize and have heat cracks. Can someone help me?

Thanks
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

If you have been checking Turning Wheels lately, you know they are available.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Shame on you Howard....posting here before checking your Turning Wheels. For that infraction, go sit in a corner and read every page of your latest Turning Wheels four times.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        If you have been checking Turning Wheels lately, you know they are available.
        Geez, what a great response.

I just flipped through my last Turning Wheels and I don't see any ads for brake drums. Rich, maybe you could help us all out and give us some actual info on where to get them?

Comment

You could try Bob Peterson who posts here. I believe that he's in the SF Bay area.

Comment

Well it is not hard to figure (or remember) that whenever the last Brake section, 2 or 3 page ad from S.I. was run in Turning Wheels it is showing off the newly minted Finned 11 inch front Brake Drums 1562457 that many Studebaker Vendors have, and since this is the World's largest source of parts especially with the latest purchase we all read about from South Bend, that if anyone has some it would be S.I. no need to turn the World upside down looking for them.

But as a former L.A. Chapter President and "Garage" owner I really thought Howard would know that sorry, maybe not.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Size??????????
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Most likely 11" finned.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Its there in SI. Actually, if you search by brake drums, 145 listings come up for ralated parts. They have the 1557400 rear dinned 11" drums as well. All are $199.

Comment

Maybe he's like me (a true CASO) and doesn't see the point in spending $200 per drum when so many drums are still on cars that are just setting in fields rusting away.

Joe
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

'64 Cruiser brake drums

Irish, you are very perceptive. I'm 70 and so far I haven't spent anywhere near $200 for a brake drum. I hope I don't have to start now! Serioiusly, my error was that I didn't specify used drums.

Thanks
                      Also, to clarify, yes I need the 11 inch finned V8 front drums.
                      Thanks again
                      Last edited by brngarage; 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM. Reason: Add clarification.
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I sold all 4 drums off a 64' Cruiser w/ 47K original miles for $400. last year. Had every piece of linkage, spring, cylinder, etc.....plenty of them out there....

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                          Maybe he's like me (a true CASO) and doesn't see the point in spending $200 per drum when so many drums are still on cars that are just setting in fields rusting away.
                          That's not CASO, that's basic common sense. Thank Heaven for our great vendors; it's a great feeling to know we can get these things new if all else fails. But even a show car can run used brake drums undetected.

If you find used ones and they spec out, how would it make any sense to buy new? One of the best uses of the forum would be to put feelers out for a needed part like this. I don't see the reason for snippy insistence on considering only new ones.

Good luck, Howard, I'm betting some used ones will turn up soon.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Howard,email sent about used 11" drums.
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The last excellent used pair (off an 11K mile Cruiser) that I sold, I sold for $50 for the pair delivered and the buyer complained about the price. I felt like telling him to return them and try to find them elsewhere.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X