what transmission...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what transmission...

... We have a Chapter member who has a nice 1950 4-door Champion with OD. Recently he installed a later model 185 with dual 1 barrels and a higher compression head. On our Fall tour, going through the mountains, he first, lost 3rd gear... Just couldn't get the lever to go in.. ...not even double clutching.... Later, after looking closer (from underneath) the lever was detached to diagnose the issue and it felt like it was hitting something internally..
    On the way home ( in 2nd OD), we stopped for lunch and he says, he now lost 1st and reverse, but could still get going and travel in 2nd & OD. The car's being shipped to a mechanic in MA for repairs...

We both mused over the situation and presumed that the newer engine with improved HP/torque, did in the transmission.
    So the question is... would a good rebuild solve the problem or can a T-86/OD be used on a 185 Six.... or what other stronger option does he have to replace the T-96 with. I don't think he'll go for a floor shift ( T-5)...
    thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

The 8E ('63 and '64) six cylinder Champ trucks with 3-speeds used an adapter plate to adapt the V8 truck bellhousing to the OHV 6. (Some of the late Y1s with six cylinder used this adapter also, check the parts books.) The '55 and up 185 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the OHV 6. So.......the adapter plate could be used to fit a V8 bellhousing to the 185 engine and allow the use of a T86 transmission. If he wants to retain the 2-piece driveshaft, he will need to use a short tailshaft T86 with the 'square' bolt pattern; this will require finding a V8 bellhousing with the smaller retainer hole and the square bolt pattern (up thru and including 1956 IIRC). The front half of the driveshaft will need to be shortened since the T86 is longer than the T96, or he might get lucky and the front shaft from a Commander might be the right length. But the driveshaft is easy to get shortened, any decent driveshaft shop can do that. However......make sure that, after the front section is shortened, they balance the front and rear driveshafts as an assembly or he could have vibration issues (ask me how I know.......<G>).

The shift linkage would most likely need to be changed. Whether the shift linkage from a '50 Commander would work would depend on whether the transmission ends up in the same location front-to-rear when bolted to the 185 as compared to where it would be with the Commander six.
    Last edited by r1lark; 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM. Reason: add'l info.....
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      The 8E ('63 and '64) six cylinder Champ trucks with 3-speeds used an adapter plate to adapt the V8 truck bellhousing to the OHV 6. (Some of the late Y1s with six cylinder used this adapter also, check the parts books.) The '55 and up 185 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the OHV 6. So.......the adapter plate could be used to fit a V8 bellhousing to the 185 engine and allow the use of a T86 transmission. If he wants to retain the 2-piece driveshaft, he will need to use a short tailshaft T86 with the 'square' bolt pattern; this will require finding a V8 bellhousing with the smaller retainer hole and the square bolt pattern (up thru and including 1956 IIRC). The front half of the driveshaft will need to be shortened since the T86 is longer than the T96, or he might get lucky and the front shaft from a Commander might be the right length. But the driveshaft is easy to get shortened, any decent driveshaft shop can do that. However......make sure that, after the front section is shortened, they balance the front and rear driveshafts as an assembly or he could have vibration issues (ask me how I know.......<G>).

The shift linkage would most likely need to be changed. Whether the shift linkage from a '50 Commander would work would depend on whether the transmission ends up in the same location front-to-rear when bolted to the 185 as compared to where it would be with the Commander six.
      Sorry Paul, the 8E5's do not use an adapter plate. I've not compared bolt patterns so I can't say with any authority, but my bellhousing is a 6" x 6.75 square pattern, with a 4 1/16" +/- center hole, in teh V8 bellhousing. The V8 one may have a different bolt pattern, I don't know. Wolfie indcated that a T89 from a V8 truck may be a direct interchange, or may need an adapter plate....again, I'm not certain, but definately no adapter plate for a '63-64 Champ with a 6 and T90.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Ron,

The adapter plate is between the block and the bellhousing. The part number of this plate is 1546534. It was used on '59 thru '64 Y1 taxis, and '63 - '64 8E5 trucks. The 1546534 plate was used on 8E six cylinder trucks to adapt the V8-sized (and V8 block-to-engine bolt pattern) bellhousings (specifically bellhousings 1693398 for 3 speed trans, and 1687348 for 4 speed trans) to the OHV 6 engine. On Taxis it adapted the car-style V8 bellhousing to the OHV 6 block.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

On all of the linkage questions, isn't the first answer to check the motor mounts? If they, especially the trans. mount, are mushy, doesn't that mess with the linkage?

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Ron,

The adapter plate is between the block and the bellhousing. The part number of this plate is 1546534. It was used on '59 thru '64 Y1 taxis, and '63 - '64 8E5 trucks. The 1546534 plate was used on 8E six cylinder trucks to adapt the V8-sized (and V8 block-to-engine bolt pattern) bellhousings (specifically bellhousings 1693398 for 3 speed trans, and 1687348 for 4 speed trans) to the OHV 6 engine. On Taxis it adapted the car-style V8 bellhousing to the OHV 6 block.
            Oh THAT plate...the rear engine plate. All Champion engines have 'em anyway, just different patterns. I thought you meant between the transmission and the bellhousing, kind of like for the T5 installation.
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
            X