Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miss Fire, The next installment (pertronix problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put a Pertronix unit in my 64 GMC 305 V-6, nothing but problems, went back to points am a very happy camper now.
    Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

The reason I went to it is a good friend of mine has had one on a 55 pickup for many years and has never had any problems.

Comment

Why do so many want to re-invent the wheel?

If the Pertronix craps out the only thing you will do is call for the 'hook'

I carry points rotor cond cap and coil in my trunk.......in less than 30 minutes i could be back on the road.

Comment

It seems that Pertronix is having problems with the modules and coils that are of recent production. I have one in my 62 Hawk that has been in service for years with no problem along with several other cars that I maintain. It's the recent manufacture parts that appear to be failing causing the problems with misfire, rough running and outright failure. I put a Pertronix module and coil in my 63 Avanti and after a few months of operation, the tach operated erratically and it turned out to be the Pertronix coil failing that caused the problem and I even ran it through the resistor. I installed the dual points and a condenser along with an old NAPA Echlin coil that I had on the shelf and now the tach works and I believe that the engine runs better at higher RPM. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
            Why do so many want to re-invent the wheel?

If the Pertronix craps out the only thing you will do is call for the 'hook'

I carry points rotor cond cap and coil in my trunk.......in less than 30 minutes i could be back on the road.
            One reason people want a Pertronix is that with a worn distributor shaft, dwell varies because the points gap varies. Pertronix is usually cheaper than rebuilding the dizzy. I've also heard stories that many of the Autolite/Prestolite dizzies have irregular lobes either by poor manufacturing or wear, which caused points gaps and dwell to be irregular. In essence it is a cheap way to mask wear. Of course dumb me bought a rebuilt dizzy with Pertronix, and regretted it. NOw I have a rebuilt dizzy, points, and a brand new Pertronix in the box (free replacement). It might be for sale...(Offers?)
            Ron Dame
            '63 Champ

Comment

Some years ago just for the hell of it I sent my dist to one of the major Stude gurus...bronze bushed weights etc....runs like a top.....three cheers for breaker point ignition....Prestolite style:-)
              Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              One reason people want a Pertronix is that with a worn distributor shaft, dwell varies because the points gap varies. Pertronix is usually cheaper than rebuilding the dizzy. I've also heard stories that many of the Autolite/Prestolite dizzies have irregular lobes either by poor manufacturing or wear, which caused points gaps and dwell to be irregular. In essence it is a cheap way to mask wear. Of course dumb me bought a rebuilt dizzy with Pertronix, and regretted it. NOw I have a rebuilt dizzy, points, and a brand new Pertronix in the box (free replacement). It might be for sale...(Offers?)

Comment

Working...
              X