H4 E-Code Lights with "City Beams"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 E-Code Lights with "City Beams"?

I've long been a fan of European code H4 7" head lights (especially Cibie) as an upgrade to older sealed beams (with suitable relay, of course). Recently the available products mostly come with the added European "city beam" feature, apparently a low wattage auxiliary bulb which operates in conjunction with the regular parking lights... a mildly interesting idea, but not a big priority for me to have, requires more tinkering with the existing wiring. Daniel Stern, the guru I've usually depended upon for my E-code lighting info, seems to be at least semiretired.

Has anyone installed these lamps and used them as intended (city beam in conjunction with parking lamps)?

Does the provision for the "city" bulb create any clearance issue when installing in the Stude head light base assembly?

Thanks.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

I recently removed a pair of 'vintage' high intensity bulbs from a '64 sedan. The 'removal' did not stop there because the things slowly burnt the wire harness over the last few years. After the new harness was installed, the car was fine.

There are ways to make your install safe. I am pretty sure the lights you are refering to may only need a 'notch' , or a hole and gromet in the part imediately behind the bulb for clearance to route the wires.

Stick with a basic relay , and maybe a new H/L breaker and you'll be fine. Many here have upgraded wires/breakers and relays for better lighting and the topic is 'searchable'

Comment

Thanks. I have used E-code lighting before (with realistic wattages and proper employment of relays) in a couple of my Studes with no problem. It's the added complication of the small (believe only 5 watts or so) "city" bulb in the units I'm currently considering. A web page showing installation of these in a vintage VW suggested that quite a bit of the Beetle's metal headlight base (they call it "adjustment chassis") needs to be cut away to allow clearance for the added bulb:

http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/CibieTech.html

If I find the Cibie or Valeo 7" lamps without the "city" bulb at a decent price the issue is gone.

Yes, I "searched"... perhaps didn't plug in the proper key word for these "city beam" things.
      Gil Zimmerman
      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
      1956 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard Hawk
      1958 President
      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

you might have to drill a hole in the buckets, but other than that, it should be fine I would think. I've never tried it though so YMMV.

I feel you on the headlights, I have a pair of Cibie Z-beams in my '55. Had newer Cibies in my 944 with a relay harness (actually they're probably still there, I just don't own the car anymore.)

I scavenged a vintage dual headlight relay from JDP's Avanti when I replaced the wiring harness, so it may be utilized on the '55 if I get ambitious, but since it'll likely get sold, I might just put in sealed beams and save the whole package for the future project that I'll inevitably get when I get my finances back in order again.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I posted up a question like this a few years ago, wasnt received well. I think
          on a modern/European look model like the Avanti it might work, but on a Lark
          I think they would look out of place. I have considered leaving the stock bulb
          with a Halogen, and than adding "driving" lights below the bumper and set in
          board of the lower grille. The "fog" lights on a 1998-02 Camaro are smallish
          and put out a decent amount of light.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
            I posted up a question like this a few years ago, wasnt received well. I think
            on a modern/European look model like the Avanti it might work, but on a Lark
            I think they would look out of place. I have considered leaving the stock bulb
            with a Halogen... Tom
            Tom, I agree the appearance would be more stock with sealed beam halogens. Incidentally, those 6024 series sealed halogens have higher wattage (65W) than standard H4's (60/55W) that I generally prefer. The H4's are only slightly "hotter" on low beam than the 6014 incadescent sealed beams (60/50W) that are so widely available and commonly used as replacements. If my memory still functions, the predecessor of the 6014 in the sixties was the 6012 with about 50/40W rating.

Any one have experience with the latest "premium" sealed beam halogens? I've heard that the GE and Phillips versions are indeed an improvement. Do they perhaps have a dash of xenon added to the gas with upgraded filaments to match a much "upgraded" price? Just for comparison, one online GE distributor sells the GE 6014 at about $11, the GE H6024 at $38, the Night Hawk H6024NH at $69, and Night Hawk H6024NHS at $102. The NHS apparently has a more blue-white effect, something for which I could care less.

I'm still partial to the E-code Cibie because of the really nice beam pattern. Yes, this pair is destined for an Avanti, but I also have a pair for my old 56J. I did eventually find a pair of E-codes without the unnecessary (for me) city beam setup. I find that optical performance is at least as important as a blaze of candlepower (perhaps a poor choice of words considering the extremely high current draw of some bulbs at over 100W). One of the more pleasant factory setups for suburban driving is in our family grocery cart, a 2008 Smart coupe... uses 55W H7's for low and high beams, has great low beam horizontal cut-off and plenty of illumination of the right shoulder.
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I got a set of Hella H-4 lights for my Lark from JC Whitney.

Comment

I think the biggest help I have read about it installing a separate lighting harness
                that runs more directly to the power circuit, using relays to direct power.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                X