Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Cautionary note for those buying current, new rotors.

A few years ago when I bought two Avanti replacement rotors for my Conestoga's, home made brakes, I noticed during the making of the caliper brackets, I noticed the rotors are WAY out of balance.
    As I saw it, the hubs were placed wrong at the start of the machining operation and were off center.

SO..as noted...just a heads up, check the balance of your aftermarket Avanti rotors.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    I had sleeved cylinders, new lines, top vendor pads and rotors right at the minimum. Properly installed and bled. Drove the car for years that way. Converted because of the rotor replacement cost and the desire to have a real choice in pad material.

If you haven't driven a converted car for comparison I understand defending the original system but in my opinion the Avanti goes from a car that stops pretty well for an old car to a car that stops on par with newer cars ( ABS not withstanding ). I was so happy with the front only transformation I did the rears.

Not long after I finished the rears I took the Avanti to the dragstrip for a test and tune night. Quiet night so I was able to make some back to back passes. Repeated stops from 90+MPH, no fade, no pull, no fuss and I purposely applied them harder than necessary looking for rear lockup because I'm running no prop valve. I couldn't ask the car to stop any better.

I sold the old parts and recouped most of my cost for the front conversion. I would never consider going back.

So if you're original setup is not due for any major repairs--drive on--but if you are faced with spending some money on your original brakes and you drive the car--convert. IMHO.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I think that they meant that if you needed new rotors and/or a major rebuild of the calipers it would be worth it to get the Turner conversion, and then keep the original parts in a box in case someone in the future wanted to show-restore the car, rather than spend the big bucks required to resleeve the calipers and/or replace the rotors.

If you have been flushing the fluid every couple years, and the rotors still mic good, you're right, there's no need to do anything unless you experience problems. I don't suspect that pads will ever be unavailable for these due to their having been used on E-types.

nate

Leave a comment:

• Werdegast
    replied
    Conversion?..........why?............my front brakes are original Stude/Dunlop disc......always have had new pads for them........never needed rotors turned............convert..........why?.......

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Bob, At that price I'd think Turner in a NY second. It will be that price everytime they are needed as opposed to a one time shot with Jim's unit. Plus you can find 'em on the road.
    Agreed, a conversion is definitely the way to go; and I would do so if it wasn't already done. Just makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    I was shocked to see the bill for 2 new rotors for the Avanti I just bought at over $1K- not counting the calipers and pads!
    Bob, At that price I'd think Turner in a NY second. It will be that price everytime they are needed as opposed to a one time shot with Jim's unit. Plus you can find 'em on the road.

JMO, Bob

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    I was shocked to see the bill for 2 new rotors for the Avanti I just bought at over $1K- not counting the calipers and pads!

Leave a comment:

• royvaldez
    replied
    Thanks jallen

Leave a comment:

• jallen
    replied
    Minimum thickness is .330".

Leave a comment:

• royvaldez
    started a topic 1963 Avanti front disks tolerances

1963 Avanti front disks tolerances

Can I get the tolerances for the thickness. Need for turning disc.
Working...
X