No announcement yet.

51 champion wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a '51 wiring diagram you can print out and study. I think the dotted line from the 2-wire connector near the map light will show you where that wire goes.
    https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/51-wire.jpg
    Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
      Here's a '51 wiring diagram you can print out and study. I think the dotted line from the 2-wire connector near the map light will show you where that wire goes.
      https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...es/51-wire.jpg
      thanks... a lot easier on the eyes to see it bigger!

ok, so i think i figured out where the 2-to-1 wire goes, but if i'm looking at it right, there's no explaination for the short tail with the bullet connector i put in. i'll dig up the old wire and take a look at the comparison tomorrow.

as it looks, the positive cigar plug wire goes to the ammeter, while it's grounded on the dash. there's no mention of a radio, so do i assume the radio goes to the ammeter, too? where should the accessories plug into? that ammeter is already pretty stricken with wires.

as far as the gauges, i noticed they glow in the dark pretty well. i heard a trick to use belche white to clean them up. i tried on a small spot, but it cleaned off all the luminous paint with it. i think i read somewhere on the old forums that you can just buy luminous paint at a hobby shop, but do you apply it to the whole thing, or just over the numbers/letters?
      Last edited by pyrodork; 10-02-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

update:

got a lot of wiring done today. turn signals, etc. part of the plastic fiberboard on the turn signal switch fell off in my hand (the one that goes to one of the front signals and the indicator bulb). tried super glue, but the only thing that got stuck were my fingers. wasn't drying on the plastic for some reason. i did all the wiring anyway, and just left that end of the wire taped off. i dont want to have to buy a new switch, but i may have to eventually unless someone supplies me with other ideas. where do the wires for the front signals connect, anyway? they weren't connected when i bought it and they're not on the wiring diagram.

according to the wiring diagram, i see the high beam indicator light connects to the bottom terminal of the floor dimmer switch. am i reading this right? again, not connected when i bought it.

again, how do i wire up the radio and cigar plug?

my two mystery wires are still mystery wires. the 2-to-1 adapter shows it goes to the headlight switch, but there's so many different places it could go. i'm going to be checking out edsel's 50 commander tomorrow and hopefully that will answer my questions. i can take a picture of the original wiring if it may help anyone. it's right in front of me. it has a 2" long wire that goes to the headlight switch, connected to the 2 long wires that go to the door switches for the dome light, and the 4" wire coming from the junction of all those wires is the one i need to find out where it goes.

and to reiterate from the other post about wiring, i want to wire up for reverse lights. how do i connect that to the reverse gear?

thanks!

Comment

Power to the radio comes from ACC terminal of the ignition switch.
          Cleaning the dust out of the purple 'black light' filters inside the gauges will brighten them up somewhat.
          I have never done this, but I once read that you can buy a dry powder glow-in-the-dark pigment, a slow-dry clear paint and fine brushes at hobby shops. Paint just a few letters/numbers with the clear, then sprinkle the pigment over it, shake off and save the excess powder, do a few more, etc.
          Or send the instruments out for professional restoration.
          Another thing about wearing a mask......I don't have to shave before I leave the house!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            Power to the radio comes from ACC terminal of the ignition switch.
            thanks, dwain. i did clean out those filters while i had the cluster off. need to get replacement green gels for the turn signal indicators, as mine are cracked. will check stores that sell stage lighting.

dumb question: i know the difference between acc and main ignition on newer cars, but these old ones are kinda confusing... what with some things appearing to work while no key is present, but will not work unless the key is turned. what is the difference in these cars? what does the main ignition power that the acc does not?

Comment

At the very least the "Ignition" or "Run" position on a car's key switch will power the ignition system. You don't want to run current though the coil for a long time for no reason. It sucks quite a bit of power! So "Acc" powers most of the electrical system while "Run" or "Ign" adds the stuff the engine needs to run.

If you park your hotwired stolen car you can save the battery by "bumping" the starter until it happens to stop with the points open. Just a tip for all you aspiring old car thieves out there .

I don't know about the 51 but my 41 Champion has a simple on/off switch. No accessory position at all.
              Nathan

Nathan

Comment

ok, got everything wired up except for the mystery wires (which i'm thinking actually are supposed to be the same wire and i accidentally cut two), front turn signals (ran out of time when i was taking headlights apart to see where they go), wire to trunk junction box, and undercar wiring (overdrive, brake/taillights). i was going to do the undercar wiring over the winter. can't believe i've used upwards of 120 feet of wire so far.

from a brief look underneath the car, it looks like there's a main 2 or 3 wire cluster for the overdrive, then a short cable that goes from the drivers side to what feels like a rubber boot on the passenger side. can someone enlighten me on this?

planning to run an extra wire to the rear end in case i want to hook up reverse lights.

Comment

Working...
                X