Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    I use the same thing. My only problem is dropping the keepers when the spring is compressed enough.
    Ditto and ditto. I used one of those rather easily obtainable tools to take apart and reassemble both sets of heads for the '55. Once I have the fingers properly grasping the spring without slipping, the next part is either being able to pick the keepers out(which can make for three minutes of mild entertainment if the heads have been sitting and the old oil is causing sticking), or get them aligned in the groove so the spring can fully extend without spitting the keepers out or distorting the spring.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Tom B View Post
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CD0Q8wIwAg#

Above is a link to the type I've used for over 30 years, with no failure....
    I use the same thing. My only problem is dropping the keepers when the spring is compressed enough.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    That is a compressor for a flathead. I can see why it distorts with a V-8 spring.

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    The tool looks like the one I use for flathead engines. I have one that I bought at NAPA years ago that looks like a big C clamp, but the head has to be removed from the engine to be able to use it. Bud

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CD0Q8wIwAg#

Above is a link to the type I've used for over 30 years, with no failure....

Leave a comment:

• SuperHawk Jr
    started a topic Valve Spring Compressor

Valve Spring Compressor

I've got a valve spring compressor that I bought for Studebaker V-8 applications. It came from NAPA the part number on their invoice being simply "700". Two pictures are attached.

I'm not happy with the product. It's a bit tinny, and even though its got "Made in USA" stamped on it, it wants to disfigure itself a it under the load for which it's intended: compressing the spring. Many times I've had to put it in the vice to bend it's jaws back into shape. Plus I have trouble keeping the valve stem centered through the spring retainer.

Anyone got a better valve spring compressor make, model or source they can recommend to me?

Thanks,

SuperHawk Jr.
    Attached Files
Working...
X