Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Glass grinding/polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass grinding/polishing

I was cleaning up the back glass while I had it out, and realized there are tiny pits from grinding sparks (luckily I had enough sense to remove the upholstery first, I never thought that sparks would pit the glass).

Anyway, they are very small and the glass is in good shape and clear otherwise- I would like to keep the original glass.

I see that Eastwood has 2 different scratch removal kits for glass. Has anyone tried them? The customer reviews are mixed.

Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

A friend had hard water damage on the glass in his 55 Chebby and tried to use an Eastwood kit. His comment was "a lot of hard work for nuthin!" He took it to a good glass shop where they cleaned and polished all the windows for a couple of hundred bucks. I don't know what they would charge for one window, but it would be worth checking out.

jj

Comment

sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. i've seen buffed glass come out wavy like bad body work.

ErnieR

Comment

I agree with Jeff. You've got the glass out. Take it to a glass shop, and don't expect perfection.
        Fortunately, it's your backlight, not your windshield.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

If your fingernail catches on it when you go across the pits or scratches with it forget it ,it won't work, been there done that.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

What have you got to lose?
            Take your buffer (with a new pad) and put some Comet kitchen cleanser on the wetted glass. Using some water from the hose...buff it out and see what happens. I'd do it outside, because it is messy...
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Gallivan

I was cleaning up the back glass while I had it out, and realized there are tiny pits from grinding sparks (luckily I had enough sense to remove the upholstery first, I never thought that sparks would pit the glass).

Anyway, they are very small and the glass is in good shape and clear otherwise- I would like to keep the original glass.

I see that Eastwood has 2 different scratch removal kits for glass. Has anyone tried them? The customer reviews are mixed.

Gallivan
            57 Golden Hawk
            Golden, CO
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Actually, it would have been better if it were your windshield. Laminated windshield glass is soft and polishes much more easily. But you are removing material, which means visual distortion. Yes, as a general rule, if your fingernail catches the scratch, not much can be done. A professional system can remove deep pits, but again, you will end up with distortion. But those windshields are readily available for replacement. The backglass however...
              Tempered glass is very hard. Only a professional system will result in much success against tempered glass. Apparently they have started reproducing this window, but I think in laminated.
              In either case, here is the key: During buffing or polishing you must avoid HEAT BUILDUP!!! Localized heat buildup from the friction will result in laminated glass cracking and tempered glass ending up in 80,000 uniform pieces.[:0]

KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

p.s. We use cerium oxide or "rare earth". AMAZ and similar products sometimes work. Cleanser[?] I doubt it. But always make a slurry and use low RPMs.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jjones

A friend had hard water damage on the glass in his 55 Chebby and tried to use an Eastwood kit. His comment was "a lot of hard work for nuthin!" He took it to a good glass shop where they cleaned and polished all the windows for a couple of hundred bucks. I don't know what they would charge for one window, but it would be worth checking out.

jj

WOW! Wonder what ppm of CaCO3 he had in his water????

Randy Wakefield
                1955 President

Comment

I don't know the concentration of calcium carbonate in the water here, but hard water stains are a common problem since the introduction of Central Arizona Project water. It can affect the paint too. Problem is the water originates in the Colorado River in northwestern Arizona, and is delivered by open canal to southeastern Arizona. Water evaporates, concentrating the minerals. Luckily, I don't drink the stuff.

jj

Comment

Working...
                  X