X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
    replied
    Originally posted by dpson View Post
    Here is a photo of a Studebaker accessory engine block heater that has been sitting over my work bench for years. The end flap on the box is gone so I have no idea what it fits. The instructions are from around 1951. One of these specifcally made for your year and model might be your best bet. I suspect they are a number of these around and they probably aren't a "hot" seller these days.
    That is the same type that I have.
    I have a few of them.
    One for commander and another that is slightly different for Champion motors.

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    Originally posted by Steven and Michelle View Post
    Thanks all! Am also surprised noone has given me "grief" over my statement that I will be driving in the cold of winter, 40 below & all...
    Thanks again for the help!
    My 49 Kaiser Special was a rural central Saskatchewan new car, and when I first got it a few years ago, it had the factory chassis paint still there, and when I had to replace the (original!!!) master cylinder, it simply unscrewed nicely like it was a brand new car from the factory--and all the other bolts were the same way. People who don't know Saskatchewan or Alberta and a few other bits of Canadian prairie in Manitoba just don't understand what it is like to live in a hot, then very cold dry grassland climate like that. Goes from 40 above (about 100F) to 40 below (-40F) and doesn't tarry really all that long in between with soggy snow and rain and ice and sleet, so there is no point using salt on the roads, because it is either warm enough to be unnecessary, or cold enough that it doesn't work. I just hope your in car heater works well, though!

Leave a comment:

• Steven and Michelle
    replied
    I've generally had good luck with the lower hose type- biggest issue is to make sure you start with a hose in good condition. They have given me instant heat in cab as well (I currently have one in my 91 Nissan diesel SUV). dpson- wow I haven't seen a bolt style heater for years... they did an OK job, had one in my 53 Chev, but found torque reliabilty left something to be desired :-)
    Thanks all! Am also surprised noone has given me "grief" over my statement that I will be driving in the cold of winter, 40 below & all...
    Thanks again for the help!

Leave a comment:

• dpson
    replied
    Here is a photo of a Studebaker accessory engine block heater that has been sitting over my work bench for years. The end flap on the box is gone so I have no idea what it fits. The instructions are from around 1951. One of these specifcally made for your year and model might be your best bet. I suspect they are a number of these around and they probably aren't a "hot" seller these days.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Having run a jobber in my youth, I tried all sorts of supplemental heaters, including casting plug style, lower radiator hose style, magnetic mount style, and heater hose pumping style.
    The latter (heater hose pumping style) was what I (and the wife) liked the best.
    The reason? The heater core and defroster started working immediately.
    No other reason, except for comfort...
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
    replied
    I have some Studebaker block heater units in my garage.

Leave a comment:

• JimK
    replied
    Many moons ago I tried an in-line host heater when we were in Winnipeg. Never could get the cut-up hose to seal to it and finally went with a block heater.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    You know, I was going to mention the in-line hose heater. A fellow once told me that those work better because they create a slow thermal-flow in the engine. I don't know, I've never used one.

Leave a comment:

• Steven and Michelle
    replied
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    Not 100% sure yet but I am also considering going to a lower hose heater as the simplicity is tempting. That would be more straight forward (and easier to undo in the future).

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    It's 1 7/8".

Leave a comment:

• Steven and Michelle
    started a topic Block (immersion) heater for OHV170?

Block (immersion) heater for OHV170?

Hi all
    Searched the posts to no avail... does anyone happen to know offhand what the size is of the casting plug (freeze plug) on the left hand upper forward of the distributor's size is?? I need to install a coolant heater (for winter duty) and would like to know beforehand what size I need rather than tear the old one out & then hope the parts store has a heater on hand. Kinda would suck not being able to get to work & all...
    Thanks
    Steven
Working...
X