Multipule carburator Intake for a 232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipule carburator Intake for a 232

If I have one built would anyone want a copy set up like that for their engine? If it was a reasonable cost? and what would be reasonable?

I have access to a good fabricator and I could have it made out of stainless or aluminum or steel for that matter.
    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

I'll stick my neck out here and say probably not.

That is, what ever you have planned, to properly, or work "well" on a 232, will most likely be too small to work well on a 259/289, which is what most are running. The Offy manifold was designed for the small 232 ports. I have one on my 259 Lark. While it works fine around town, it runs out of breath pretty quick on the freeways with a quick foot on the pedal.

Plus...unless (you don't give any details) you are talking two, two barrel carburetors, anything else would be too big for most.
    I think...visually...three, two barrels would be a better build.

And...if you look around (admittidly difficult !), there are two, two barrel manifolds out there and were designed for the smaller engines/heads.

Tell us more....details, details...

Mike

Comment

As Mike says, if it works on a 232", it is doesn't flow enough for a 289"-304" and vice-versa, so one size definitely doesn't fit all Stude V8s. Then, how high is up? Yes, at the same price as the existing 2x2bbls. No, at the $2500 for a full-race sheet metal intake. Maybe, you should ask why? The available 2x2 intakes are plenty for a stock 232".

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

My question would be...Why?...after all, it is a 232! Unless you just want to impress the great uninformed mass of "non-Studebaker" folks when you raise the hood at a cruise-in...what's the point? If you are really going for a "performance custom"...then why not go for a 289 in the first place?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          My question would be...Why?...after all, it is a 232! Unless you just want to impress the great uninformed mass of "non-Studebaker" folks when you raise the hood at a cruise-in...what's the point? If you are really going for a "performance custom"...then why not go for a 289 in the first place?
          I guess why not? 4 1bl carbs would look cool and 2 2bl carbs would look cool also.

For me it's not just about plain performance, it's about looking good while driving and having fun with the build. Yes i could just get a chevy motor and drop it in. But why not have fun with what you have and make it look good and drive the crap out of it.
          I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
          sigpic
          I'll Tattoo you anytime!
          And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
          Crazy Lady Ink
          Shakopee Mn.
          952-445-3281
          27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Good answer to jclary's comment....!

4 single's...hmmm... Kinda like the Edelbrock's the Offys, etc of old (4, two barrels). Or like the Man-a-fre. I ran one of those (Man-a-fre) for years in my 56 Chevy. It took a while to learn how to tune it. But overall it was fun. Even in the late 60's thru the mid 70's...it was an oddball even then.

But unless you know of a casting house that'll work with you...or you are a wiz at sheet metal (aluminum !), you'll be spending a LOT of money.
            OR...if you do have an alum. casting location and or are good at fabricating and welding sheet aluminum......YOU'VE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON US...!

Mike

Comment

i think it was an excellent answer to my comments. Very honest and about the best reason I could think of for doing it. Often times the "fun" of a project exceeds the "practicality" of a project. I only wish I was close enough to participate...and you're lucky I'm not!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The fabricator of the tunnel ram on the Salt2Salt racer will make a tunnel ram for anybody for a lot less than $2500. It does require membership in the 'hole in the hood' gang.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Edsel

Let me congratulate you on looking into an unusual adaption to a small motor.

I would think that a good fabricator could build something like this http://snow.prohosting.com/~johngift/intakefab.html rather inexpensively once the intake flanges were formed. Just add tubes and connect to a box that holds the number of carbs that you want. Than just modify until happy.

To steal a phrase from a fellow member. Cool Beans

Bob

Comment

For me it's not just about plain performance, it's about looking good while driving and having fun with the build. . . But why not have fun with what you have and make it look good and drive the crap out of it.
                    FWIW, Mike, myself and several others here have been doing exactly that for fifty years now. His Lark build has professional quality suspension, motor mount and every other conceivable part fabricated. There's never been another one like it. I've build a few Stude V8 engines myself over the years. That experience is why we have a distinct lack of enthusiasm for a fabricated manifold on a street engine. It's a lot of work to make a Stude run worse. We've done or seen a bunch of manifolds fabricated, know it is a huge amount of labor, and if it fits under the hood, it won't make an otherwise stock Stude 232" any faster than the available 2x2 cast aluminum intake.

Here's the recent Ute build for a look at a nicely dressed Stude V8 with the 2x2 intake which ran well.

The fabricator of the tunnel ram on the Salt2Salt racer will make a tunnel ram for anybody for a lot less than $2500. It does require membership in the 'hole in the hood' gang.
                    If one is willing to cut a hole in the hood and run a huge scoop, here is a photo of the Salt2Salt intake.

When asking for advice here, be prepared for all points of view, then as always, your car, your money, your decision. Have fun. That's what it's all about.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Sometimes we do a lot of choppin' and ain't no chips flying. Some of the Studebaker modifications cost a lot.
                      an den de car go no faster than a stock engine with only compression change (like thin head gaskets) and
                      maybe a small (I said small) 4 bbl and duals.

Comment

I have a 6x2 log manifold that is being altered to fit the Studebaker, it is a Cad. manifold so it is close to start with, when done I will start looking for carbs. or just sell it, also have a 2x2 for my 52 commander 232 engine.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Got ya all beat...I've got a Cragar, 4-71 blower manifold....for a Cad engine. I'm having a little bit of a hard time hacking up a vintage manifold, but being a blower manifold, it should be an easy modification to the Stude engine. Just build new "legs".

Just gotta talk myself into using a saw on it...!

Mike

Comment

stude "newbe" wants to know if a 289 will bolt up to my 232,3speed w?o.d. ??? don't want to change to many things. thanks john

Comment

stude "newbe" wants to know if a 289 will bolt up to my 232,3speed w?o.d. ???
                              Short answer, yes.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X