Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WooHoo! Bell housing dial in is DONE! (almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WooHoo! Bell housing dial in is DONE! (almost)

Dialing in the bellhousing must be one of the most tedious jobs I can think of, especially trying to do it by yourself...Jane's travel make-up mirror was a big help though. I did wipe the evidence off of it afterwords, so I don't think I'll get caught.

Even though I was going to be satisfied with .003" run-out, that last tap brought it to 0.000" vertical and.002" horizontal. I torqued the bolts down, verified that it did not change, and now just need to get the reamer and pins! I really will finally get this engine installed!
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Way to go dude!!!!

Comment

what a miserable job. Congrats on the tight tolerances.

Comment

do you need to dial in a automatic trans converter and bell housing if it all was removed?? I did not pull the flywheel but did pull out the converter and bellhousing. Thanks RC

Comment

The cars left the factory with a matched engine/bellhousing. You only need to do the dialin if you swap out the factory setup for a new trans or engine.
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You are my hero, Ron. Coming from the Big 3 world I've never done one, and have thus far been able to avoid it; but it's just a matter of time. Just can't seem to get my mind around the process. I'm sure when I come to a point where I HAVE to do it I'll figure it out- like I still don't get what a "reamer and pins" are for Nice work conquering it!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The reamer is to enlarge the alignment holes and true thiem up with each other so a larger pin can be used to maintain alignment if the bell is pulled again.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                You are my hero, Ron. Coming from the Big 3 world I've never done one, and have thus far been able to avoid it; but it's just a matter of time. Just can't seem to get my mind around the process. I'm sure when I come to a point where I HAVE to do it I'll figure it out- like I still don't get what a "reamer and pins" are for Nice work conquering it!
                Like you, I'd not quite got my head around it, yet now that honest and for sure I'm going to install the new engine, I couldn't put it off any longer. But then once I began, it became pretty plain. I think you just have to do it to understand it. My biggest problem was trying to decide which way I needed to tap the bellhousing to align it, and going the wrong way :-(
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Yeah, Ron, I learn things like that MUCH better being shown even one time. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I can no longer avoid it <G> Somewhere I got the idea that once it's aligned completely new holes were drilled through the bell into the block and new pins installed.

I'll look into it again at a later date........................
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I've done several dial ins on V8s but the Champion 6 had me stumped when I was looking at it.
                    There doesn't seem to be any provision for picky alignment.
                    Do they not need it because of their small diameter clutch?
                    sigpic
                    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                      I've done several dial ins on V8s but the Champion 6 had me stumped when I was looking at it.
                      There doesn't seem to be any provision for picky alignment.
                      Do they not need it because of their small diameter clutch?
                      I don't know about car Champ engines, but on the 8E trucks, you have a V8 bellhousing, flywheel and clutch
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Yeah, Ron, I learn things like that MUCH better being shown even one time. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I can no longer avoid it <G> Somewhere I got the idea that once it's aligned completely new holes were drilled through the bell into the block and new pins installed.

I'll look into it again at a later date........................
                        Look on Bob Johnstone's site. There's a great pictorial that helped me a lot.
                        Ron Dame
                        '63 Champ

Comment

FYI... They (the big 3) suggest this, too (if you read deep enough in their manuals..).
                          Just is, very few take the time to do it.
                          And Lakewood sells adjustable pins for their replacement bellhousings to make the job easier.
                          I check all the Stude's I do...Only about a third of them need any adjustment.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                            Dialing in the bellhousing must be one of the most tedious jobs I can think of, especially trying to do it by yourself...Jane's travel make-up mirror was a big help though. I did wipe the evidence off of it afterwords, so I don't think I'll get caught.

Even though I was going to be satisfied with .003" run-out, that last tap brought it to 0.000" vertical and.002" horizontal. I torqued the bolts down, verified that it did not change, and now just need to get the reamer and pins! I really will finally get this engine installed!
                            Last night I had one of those 2:00 ayem 'UH-OH"s! I started with the 9:00 position at 0.000" 6:00 was 0.002" 3:00 was 0.000", and 12:00 was 0.001". It sounds like the runout is fine except why is it not 0.000:, 0.000: 0.000" and 0.001"? Was my set-up wrong? Is the hole oval? does it really matter? HELP! I need to sleep tonight!
                            Last edited by Ron Dame; 09-12-2010, 03:25 PM.
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                              HELP! I need to sleep tonight!
                              A small glass of good wine just before bed should do the trick.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X