Bell Housings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell Housings

I was wondering if the bolt pattern for a Borg Warner 4 speed transmission is the same as for a three speed overdrive. I have a 4 speed that is perported to be from a Stude but the bolt pattern does not match up to my bell housing. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Stude Rookie

I am dealing with this issue too. The 3 spd OD used a ford bolt pattern. The 4 spd the studebaker used was a T10 with a GM bolt pattern. They require different bell housings.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

That is an interesting observation but may not be quite the whole story. My newly aquired T10 is definately not the same bolt pattern as the T10 that I removed from my R1 Avanti. The Avanti trans appears to have a Ford looking bolt pattern. I thought maybe Hawks around 1961 orm so may have had their own pattern. Not likely tho I'm afraid.
      Stude Rookie

Comment

I have a 4 speed that is perported to be from a Stude but the bolt pattern does not match up to my bell housing.
        I am dealing with this issue too. The 3 spd OD used a ford bolt pattern. The 4 spd the studebaker used was a T10 with a GM bolt pattern. They require different bell housings.
        Since neither of you included model and year, you made it impossible to give an answer.

Yes, Studebaker did use the Chevy/GM T10 bolt pattern bellhousing, but only in '61-early '62. Late '62-64 Stude T10s used the Ford bolt pattern.

No, not all Stude V8 bell housings are the same. The '51-56 used a square bolt pattern on the T86. '57-64 were a rectangular Ford pattern except as described above. Then, there were the truck 4-speed and 5-speeds which were different again.

Maybe, tell us what bell housings and transmissions you have and you can get the info on what fits what.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack thanks for jumping in there. You have clarified a muddled picture, for me anyway. My transmission is a 1961 T10 and it is just one piece of the puzzle that will hopefully one day be a running 54 Commander. Now, next task, find a bell housing and fly wheel. Much appreciated input. The bell housing that came with the car has the square small bolt pattern (no trans) and the car was an overdrive model. I also got what I think is an early model 289 with the oil filter mounted on top.
          Stude Rookie
          Last edited by Stude Rookie; 08-22-2010, 05:33 PM.

Comment

If yours is really a '61 Hawk T10, it will have the Chevrolet bolt pattern. The GM pattern bell housing is much more difficult to find than the Ford. There were only a few '61-early '62 4-speeds, but the Ford pattern bell housing was used in all other manual shift cars '57-64. The GM bellhousings are out there, but will cost a bit extra. BTW, all flywheels are the same and easy to find.

If the bellhousing is original to your 289", it probably came from a '56 Sky Hawk or President. Provide the engine serial number and someone here can confirm from whence it came. There is also a serial number listing in the technical section on this site.

jack vines

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack, thanks again. I am not usually at the computer too late in the evening, hence the late reply.
              The tail housing on this particular T10 is date coded 9/5/61 . It came with linkage and a shifter that I refer to as a piece of spagetti. It's not very substantial looking. There is a two piece bracket made out of about 1/8th in plate x 2'' wide that the back up switch is mounted to at the back of the trans and the front part has a ball type socket about 1" or 1 1/8" in diameter. I don't have a clue as to what this bracket is for. Both pieces are attached to the side cover and equal the length of the trans cast iron case.
              Stude Rookie

Comment

OK Rookie...(at some point you will probably have to "re-think" that handle), so far, unless I missed something, you have discussed the bell housing trans bolt pattern.

Another thing you will need to pay attention to when changing bellhousings, is the fact that the bellhousing is "dialed in" to the engine bolt pattern. This is a much discussed topic and depending on your true "rookie" status, you may not be aware of this. Once you have the bellhousing you want, check the shop manual for the procedure to "dial-in" the bellhousing so that it centers on your engine.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, as far as the handle is concerned, in my opinion I will always be a rookie when it comes to Studebakers. I have made it a point to read almost all of the tech forums and have gained some insight as to what I'm up against. All of you folks who have responded to my posts have been extremely helpful with your insight and knowledge. I did read about dialing in the bell housing in a previous post. I will continue to read all the posts with great interest because my Commander came to me as a basket case and I still have to discover what I have and don't have to work with.
                  Stude Rookie

Comment

Some very rare and valuable Parts

Originally posted by Stude Rookie View Post
                    and the front part has a ball type socket about 1" or 1 1/8" in diameter. I don't have a clue as to what this bracket is for. Both pieces are attached to the side cover and equal the length of the trans cast iron case.Stude Rookie
                    It sounds like you have the hard to find clutch cross shaft support bracket, it's shape determines if it only fits Sedan/Lark bodies or C & K/Hawk bodies.

If you were to get involved with your local SDC Chapter members you very well could find someone to trade that hard to find B/U Light switch and bracket (if not wanted) and the clutch linkage parts which may not work in your install (I didn't see where you said if Sedan/Wagon,C or K), for the parts you do need, OR just sell them for the cash to buy what you need! Just some options
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks StudeRich. After i get familiar with the parts I do have, those that I don't need will of course be made available to club members. I inherited a bunch of parts and a lot of chrome and stainless with my 54 Commander and some of that trim (a friend called it "butter knife') I will be trading away for something I intend to put on the car. I have a NOS Climatizer that is complete front to rear but I don't know if I'll be able to use it yet. One of my first orders of business is to find a bell housing to match my 4 speed, Then I will sort through all that trim for the pieces I will use. Still a Rookie but I have to get my feet wet sometime. The car is darn near ready to go to the media blaster but not quite. There are still some parts I havn't mastered taking off yet. I will be comming to Springfield next year so if I touch bases with someone who has something I need or I find something that I can do without in my pile I'll bring it to Springfield.
                      Stude Rookie
                      Last edited by Stude Rookie; 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Marion, I sent you a private email today on bell housing.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Joseph, you might try to send that e-mail again. I did not receive it and today is the 30th of August. I appreciate any help you cangive me. I don't know if my e-mail address is listed in my profile or not but I don't keep it a secret. stuchev44@comcast.net One other thing I might add; I am not handy with a computer so I am not familiar with how the internal messaging system works.
                          Marion
                          Last edited by Stude Rookie; 08-30-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Marion, email re-sent.
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                            X