Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Ross TA 12 Bushing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross TA 12 Bushing Question

Howdy All, ran into a problem today, I recently rebuilt my Ross TA 12, new bushings, and turned my pins 90 degrees. I have been waiting for steering box grease and seal from SI to put it all back together. Today the grease and seal arrived, and when I went to insert the shaft though the new bushings it is a no go! They are so tight that even bumping the shaft with a rubber mallet produces no movement through the bushing. I tried the shaft on both bushings with the same result. There were no burrs, or other blems in the openings when I pressed them in. I double checked my invoice from SI, and my parts book numbers, both are #680210, so they should be the correct ones for my TA12. I mic'd the shaft and the bushing opening, and they are .937, and .934, so there is a difference of about .003 Shy of having the wrong bushings am I missing something here? Thanks for any suggestions.

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

You may have to have a machine shop ream the bushings to fit such as is done with king pins.Not unusual to have to have that done.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

.003 could be a tight press fit. Is it possible to use a C clamp and a deep socket to press the seal in? Or, as the manual for my '53 says, a block of wood and a lead hammer.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Thanks for the input 41 Frank, I kinda figured that they might have to be reamed, just one of those jobs that you would rather put off if possible! Chucked the shaft in the lathe and dial indicated it, and it was about another .002 out of round. After some carefull measuring, I reamed those bushings this morning, and now have a pretty good fit. Snug at one side when the shaft is turned, but they should wear in OK. Thanks Again

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
        I own time machines.....

Comment

Working...
        X