No announcement yet.

wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the new plug wires are out of order, you should still get spark, just not at the right time. Using insulated pliers, if you hold a plug wire 1/4" to 1/2" away from a spark plug, do you see a spark jump that gap when you try to start the engine? It's quite possible that the points and condenser either weren't installed correctly or are not adjusted correctly. Was the point gap set with its rubbing block resting on the highest point of a distributor cam lobe? This diagram shows where the plug wires should be located in the cap. Pay close attention to the location of the two clips:

Dwain G.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by boduke

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Front cylinder is #1. Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. If timing mark on vibration damper is lined up, rotor should point to #1. Rotation is counter-clockwise.
      well I am still having no luck i tried every thing suggested here every thing seems to be fireing could the coil still be fireing but be to weak?? could a valve be stuck?? HELP should have left the dang thing alone lol....

Bingo success thanks to every one i gotter going the diagram helped i was so far off it was pityful she runs like a top tahnks again to every one I hope i can be of some help to someone

Comment

What ended up being the problem?

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

What ended up being the problem?

Tom
          I had a couple plug wires plugged in the wrong order in the dist.
          I could have swore i had them right but I sure didnt
          this sure is a big help for prblem solving i appreciate every ones help...Bob

Comment

Working...
          X