X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raoul5788
    replied
    Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer View Post
    Ok here was the deal. I havent driven the car much this summer, well because it was freaking hot, humid, and raining most of this summer. So i drove the car to work just the other day. Charging system still not working. Now after knowing all components are just fine. What could be wrong. I thought well it has to be a bad ground where I asked the ground on the regulator I ran another wire to the battery terminal sure as shinola it was working just fine after that. A crappy ground on the regulator itself. Who figured it out? A dummy like me that's who.
    Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Leave a comment:

• doug
    replied
    Thanks for the follow up. It is always educating to find out what finally cures the problem. The biggest part of my job is troubleshooting and many times the problem is something unusual because everything else has already been checked.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    Ok the Electronics repair shop says everything is working just fine. I guess I was an Idiot on this one. I'll see if it messes up again.
    Ok here was the deal. I havent driven the car much this summer, well because it was freaking hot, humid, and raining most of this summer. So i drove the car to work just the other day. Charging system still not working. Now after knowing all components are just fine. What could be wrong. I thought well it has to be a bad ground where I asked the ground on the regulator I ran another wire to the battery terminal sure as shinola it was working just fine after that. A crappy ground on the regulator itself. Who figured it out? A dummy like me that's who.

Leave a comment:

• christophe
    replied
    "Since the car never actually started, do you think the reversed polarity would have screwed up the regulator?"

I misconnected the battery on my first car (SIMCA 9 Aronde 1951) the first time I started it. Well, it was not entirely my fault as the wires were wrongly identified. Moreover, with a battery under the seat, you don't see where they go. The car actually worked with all its accesories except the fuel gauge. While checking for this malfunction, I discoverd negative tension then understand the problem and fix it. I did nothing else and the car has been working well the last 25 years. Still, I don't know if the two problems were really related.
    On our old cars, I think that a polarity inversion, at least temporarily, can cause no harm.
    On a recent car, it's not the same thing. I've seen a car starting burning itself because of an inversed battery, and it was not running.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    Ok the Electronics repair shop says everything is working just fine. I guess I was an Idiot on this one. I'll see if it messes up again.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
    As a slightly related question.....when I went to pick up the '55 president from the former owner, he was trying to start the car without success. I rolled the car up on the trailer & brought it home only to find out afterwards that he had put the battery in backwards (negative ground rather than positive.

Since the car never actually started, do you think the reversed polarity would have screwed up the regulator? I have the car up on stands right now while putting a new exhaust system & heater hoses on it (wow theres a lot of hose....), so I can't really drive it yet (once I turned the battery around & put a new condensor in it, I did drive it the 30 feet into the shop).
    thanks,
    Mike Sal
    Was it charging or On zero? I wouldn't think you mees something up with just that. But someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure of it.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    As a slightly related question.....when I went to pick up the '55 president from the former owner, he was trying to start the car without success. I rolled the car up on the trailer & brought it home only to find out afterwards that he had put the battery in backwards (negative ground rather than positive.

Since the car never actually started, do you think the reversed polarity would have screwed up the regulator? I have the car up on stands right now while putting a new exhaust system & heater hoses on it (wow theres a lot of hose....), so I can't really drive it yet (once I turned the battery around & put a new condensor in it, I did drive it the 30 feet into the shop).
    thanks,
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    After reading this thread I realized I needed to drive home to disconnect my battery charger. I had left it on full charge rate for 3 days! We'll see if the battery's cooked.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
    To test the generator, remove the field wire from the generator. Hook a jumper wire from the field post to ground. Start the engine. If the generator is working, the amp gage will show full charge. If that checks out, the regulator is not working. If it don't, the generator is not working. Good luck. Jim
    That Is just Brillant!

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    John Clary

I am ok under the hood most of the time, when encountering new systems. I like to just be cautious and ask for help before I mess something up. Or I know when to (cry for Help) ask for advise. I do have all the manuals but of course I jump on here before I read anything in it.
    That's OK and I do the same thing. What I like about this forum is that it is like a 24/7 campfire! The BS is entertaining and the little tid bits of good information is priceless. For example, I had heard of Diesel Jim's quick test, but had forgotten the details or sequence of testing. I always try to qualify my advice just in case someone might make the mistake of thinking I "really" know what I am talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Edsel G. Tattooer
    replied
    Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
    Did the flaps check only the voltage or the cca also?
    John Clary

I am ok under the hood most of the time, when encountering new systems. I like to just be cautious and ask for help before I mess something up. Or I know when to (cry for Help) ask for advise. I do have all the manuals but of course I jump on here before I read anything in it.

I'll have the Generator checked out.

THe CCA was 442 Saw it my self. He was a well not the sharpest tack in the box but I did see the idiot lights and readings my self.

THe Battery was not fully charged when I took it out for the drive. I was tring to get it charged.

54stude
    I will call the generator place today.

Thanks! I'll let you know what i find.

Leave a comment:

• raoul5788
    replied
    Did the flaps check only the voltage or the cca also?

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    OK...so the FLAPS attendant says the battery is OK...as in fully charged ???? You should be able to drive way more than a few blocks even with the headlights on and a charged battery. I suspect the battery is down, but not ruined...yet. Follow advise above...

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    To test the generator, remove the field wire from the generator. Hook a jumper wire from the field post to ground. Start the engine. If the generator is working, the amp gage will show full charge. If that checks out, the regulator is not working. If it don't, the generator is not working. Good luck. Jim

Leave a comment:

• 54stude
    replied
    If you need your generator or regulator checked or rebuilt, there is a very good shop for this in the twin cities.

Generator specialty
    210 9th st west
    Saint Paul, MN 55102
    651-796-1406

They are open 7-3 m-f.
    Good luck,
    Brian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X