How Do I Tighten Strato-Vue Mirror?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Tighten Strato-Vue Mirror?

I have a '61 Hawk with Strato-Vue side mirrors. The driver's side mirror frame has increasingly become loose on the ball and socket pivot point, and as such won't hold a position. It "droops" from the affects of road vibrations and wind. Any ideas about how to tighten the ball & socket interface?

Mine did that and I just removed the mirror head from the body by loosening the set screw and tightening the ball part back up by screwing it in with a pair of visegrips. On mine it is threaded into the mirror head. I might add mine is a reproduction.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

See: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...searchid=64930
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Jim, I can't locate the link you provided, is there a title for which I can use the search process?

Comment

Hi jim, the link is not working. Perhaps I am techno-inept. Is there a title for the specific forum that I can use the search tool? Thanks much! Rick

Comment

Well, it looks like I didn't copy the link properly.

Try:

There is a discussion of both fastening to the door and the loose head.

Or simply use the search function at the top of the page. Enter "loose avanti mirror"
            Last edited by Rerun; 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM.
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jim, I successfully found the "thread" through your link. I had a similar idea for a fix, which was to use a nail set or other tool to "bend over" the female portion of the ball and socket. I like the idea better of roughing up the ball as suggested in the previous forum. Much obliged!

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                Mine did that and I just removed the mirror head from the body by loosening the set screw and tightening the ball part back up by screwing it in with a pair of visegrips. On mine it is threaded into the mirror head. I might add mine is a reproduction.
                Sorry about resurrecting a "stale" thread, but it is a continual problem.

Frank, I don't understand what you did.

From what I can tell the mirror head includes the swivel ballstud. This ball stud can be remove from the mirror casting. So how did you tightenup the ball stud swivel?

Thanks
                Tom

Comment

Well like I indicated I backed the set screw out enough to remove the head and ball stud as a unit and since it seemed at the time the ball stud was screwed into the mirror head I just screwed it back in tight and used a vise grip to secure it tight. Has been secure for several years now. Maybe yours has a different design or problem. Mine was a repro Stratovue though.

Originally posted by tomhoo View Post
                  Sorry about resurrecting a "stale" thread, but it is a continual problem.

Frank, I don't understand what you did.

From what I can tell the mirror head includes the swivel ballstud. This ball stud can be remove from the mirror casting. So how did you tightenup the ball stud swivel?

Thanks
                  Tom
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                    ...since it seemed at the time the ball stud was screwed into the mirror head I just screwed it back in tight...
                    That doesn't explain what the mechanism looks like inside the mirror head, but who knows, maybe that is all that is required.

If you screwed the ball stud back into the mirror head, wouldn't the same thing be to simply screw the mirror head "onto" the ball stud while it was still attached to the mirror frame/casting?

Comment

Yes you could do that I suppose and at first I tried that but it kept coming loose. The ball stud tends to turn as the set screw won't hold it tight enough, therefore it was as easy since it only took seconds to remove the mirror head with stud to do it the way I did it and get it really tight so the problem would not reoccur.
                      Originally posted by tomhoo View Post
                      That doesn't explain what the mechanism looks like inside the mirror head, but who knows, maybe that is all that is required.

If you screwed the ball stud back into the mirror head, wouldn't the same thing be to simply screw the mirror head "onto" the ball stud while it was still attached to the mirror frame/casting?
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                      X