Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Frame Cross-Member: 64 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Cross-Member: 64 Lark

I had the 64 Lark up on a hoist late last night and while on the hoist,I guess the seemingly solid frame wasn't that solid! The hoist punched through the frame cross member, parts book # 1553930. GRRRRRR

Sasco dosen't have one. Can anybody help?

Kent

Kent, I doubt that you'll find an NOS part. I'd check with some of the vendors for a solid used piece. Hopefully they won't hit you up for a complete frame assembly. The part should bolt in place. With this being the same piece as on the '63, you should have no problem finding candidates.

If you find a used one, sandblast and POR-15 will make it look like new.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Kent, This is a 6cyl car??? I've got a member here for a V8 - PN 1547767

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Its a 64 six Lark, Y body, with the model 35 trans.

Is there really a physical difference between the six and v8 or just the metal gauge?

Kent

Comment

Kent,

If you are looking for a used one, try Don Gay in Lowpoint IL. He advertises regularily in TW magazine.

Gary

Comment

Kent, you have no location in your profile so I don't know what part of the country you're in. If in the northeast try Al Hall at abstude@sunlink.net .

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I'm up here in Michigan - home of rust, rot, and repair

Comment

quote: I'm up here in Michigan - home of rust, rot, and repair
                Ah, yes. The three R's of Northeast auto-motoring pleasure![B)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Kent,I'll second the recommendation for Don Gay.I think he will ship it,or if you're not in a hurry for it,he will be in SB for the May swapmeet.Problem is,you some times have to be there in person to prod him into looking for a part-let me know if I can help,I'm 40 miles away from him,need an excuse to go visit![also,pricewise he is the most reasonable vendor]

LaSalle,Il
                  61Hawk
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I doubt there's a difference in metal gage - more likely different holes for the mounts specific to that T-35 automatic!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mike, I agree with your comments. And the differences MAY BE minor. Thing is, this late 6 (with the T-35 auto tranny) crossmember carries a part# specific to it alone. Kent MIGHT get away with nothing more than dirlling a couple of holes to accomodate his tranny - or it may be something more. To be honest, I've never dealt with a 63-64 auto tranny 6cylinder car.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Mike, I agree with your comments. And the differences MAY BE minor. Thing is, this late 6 (with the T-35 auto tranny) crossmember carries a part# specific to it alone. Kent MIGHT get away with nothing more than dirlling a couple of holes to accomodate his tranny - or it may be something more. To be honest, I've never dealt with a 63-64 auto tranny 6cylinder car.[:I]

This was my thought too. If the crossmember was specific for just '63 & '64 'S' model cars, there has to be a reason. Again, I can't think it would be that hard to find a good, solid part from a southern/western salvage yard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                        X