Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was a DG200 tranny ever used by the factory for a 259?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, thanks for bumping my old post, anyway. That's still a good transmission. Getting the linkage lined up is a brute. Better to have the parking pawl engage and "search" for reverse, rather than the other way around. I have about 200 miles on mine since the second rebuild. The first was wiped out when my good ol boy wouldn't read the manual and had the bell housing out of line. Ruined the fresh pump and the fresh converter. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I will have the whole set up for sale on Ebay next week: 1951 champion transmisssion with linkage.

Comment

Why not list a price here or send a private message then you may sell it before eBay take their cut? Anyway, I trust the car will soon be operative.
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Not ruling out a replacement, Roy, but I've determined it shifts well on the road through all gears, so I've pinned down that this setup actually does work in this car.
          But I have to get the governor hooked up, then get the bands adjusted to resolve the slipping in Reverse, which only happens on an incline.

If I do replace it with a Stude DG-200, is there any reason I need to remove the torque converter or bellhousing, considering it is shifting okay?
          Is there anything in a torque converter that goes bad? That adds a lot of work, including jacking up the engine, and I vaguely recall something about
          having to dial in the bellhousing if removed, but that may only apply to installing a different one, not the original bellhousing - never done it, just read about it some time ago,
          and I don't know if you can dial it in with the engine in the car.

Regards,
          Clarence

Comment

Working...
          X