Brake light failure on 56 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake light failure on 56 hawk

The brake lights have failed on my 56 Hawk. I replaced the pressure switch with a new one which tests good. I removed the turn signal switch and inspected it for corrosion or frayed wires and saw none. MY shop manual which I bought with the car in 1956 does not address this problem and the wiring diagrams in the manual are inconsistent. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions?
    Thanks, Jim Morgan

I know it seems strange, but maybe they are burned out? After you check that, pull all the connections, especially the grounds. If you still have old cloth insulated wire, follow each wire back to see if you can find a place where it has worn insulation off.

Comment

Sometimes the problem is the signal switch not returning to perfect center but, I suspect you've giggled it to rule that out.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you have access to a test light, remove both wires from the brake light switch and test to see if you have power going to the switch. I have had fuses fail in the past that looked good, but weren't. If there is power to the switch, you can also put a jumper lead between the 2 wires going to the brake light switch to confirm that the bulbs and connections to the tail lights are good. If the lights come on with the jumper attached, replace the brake light switch. Bud

Comment

As an added note, the ignition switch does not have to be in the run or accessory position to perform the tests as the brake light circuit is not switched. Bud

Comment

The light bulbs are ok (The turn signals use the same filaments and they are fine.) All the insulation on my car was plastic in 1956.
            Last edited by Jim Morgan; 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I do have power to the switch. In addition, I ran a wire from the switch back to the rear of the car and spliced into the turn signal circuit. This allows the brake signal to work, but the turn signal stops as soon as you apply the brakes. The alternate wiring diagram in the shop manual shows the wire going out of the brake switch and returning to the turn signal switch, which allows a constant brake light along with a flashing turn signal. If this is the case, the fault almost certainly is in the turn signal switch. I guess I'll just have to try to find a replacement, unless maybe an aftermarket contact brake light switch might work.

Comment

You do need a new turn signal switch, because a mechanical stop light switch still has to be wired through the turn Sig. Sw. to as you discovered, allow the stop lights to cancel on the side that is flashing for turn.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich, the turn signal switch is worn out and should be replaced. Bud

Comment

Had the same problem. Its the turn signal switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X