Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Instead of shipping a heavy block, couldn't the fabricator get the same dimensions from the bell housing? That is certainly a lot lighter and smaller to ship.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    At first, I was wondering why a ten-year-old thread comes back to life, but then we're writing about cars which haven't been made in more than fifty-four years, so there's little new news about them. (That, plus most of us Stude owners are so old we'd not remember what was discussed yesterday, much less ten years ago.)

Anyway, FWIW, most of us, including Mike, prefer the TH200-4R for swaps into V8s; it has better gear ratios. However, this is a very small six and would benefit from the lower first gear of the TH700R4/4L60. There are also a dozen different governors which put the shift points at the optimum point of the torque curve. If using the older trans with TV cable, plan on spending time and money getting the accelerator linkage fabricated. It's not easy on a single barrel carb. If using the later electric trans, just plan on spending money for the aftermarket controller.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    I made my adapter for the 289 to a 4L60 trans. It's made from 1/4" plate, (one of the sellers I contacted, don't rmember which , was using 1/4" aluminum). I'm using a GM flex plate on an adapter/spacer and starter for a ford small block V8, fits fine.

It shouldn't be too hard to make any of the available V8 adapters fit the six, they center on the crank. Make an appropriate spacer to fit the plate to the crank for alignment and drill the needed mounting holes.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Find out who made the adapter for Mark Carson.

Leave a comment:

• Leosnake
    replied
    Did you ever complete this project?

Leave a comment:

• stuuder
    replied
    LOL ya caught that, eh?? yup original 51K miles, 258 2bbl auto....... picked up another starter , longer snout, 04-06 gm ecotec 2.2L., will give that a go I have on order a 3 bolt flange style chevy starter used from 56 and up, big heavy brute though......stay tuned....:-)..........and thanks for the support, it helps when things don't quite go as planned..:-) but its not insurmountable.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    Sure nice to see a Pacer again. I had a yellow one and a tan one several years ago. Some things were a pain to work on, but I enjoyed the cars.

I feel your pain on this project. I wanted to make an adapter to hook a chrysler 727 up to the back of a Kaiser 6 cylinder engine & had a lot of trouble coming up with anyone who could provide dimensions. Had to lay it out myself.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• stuuder
    replied
    This will work on a Stude 170 flatmotor to any chevy TH?
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Stude already made the adapter for you it is a 1546534 Plate rear support. Then you use the V8 adapter to bolt to that.

Leave a comment:

• stuuder
    replied
    seems to be a project that is "your on your own" deal. maybe someone can answer me this. On any of the various adapters what starter are you using. heres the dilema.....the TH trannies must have the converter pads a set distance from the face of the trans bellhousing, in my case its about 1.00" Install the stock chevy flexplate on the converter, now place the .500" adapter plate on the trans.Bolt the plate temporarily to the trans, now install the "ford" starter to the engine side of the adapter plate. Now, look and see that with the starter pinion fully extended it just barely contacts the ring gear, appears I need another .500" of pinion travel.The "ford" starter I used is a 99 explorer,4.0, nice and small, two bolt flange, 3" dia snout at the flange,I picked up another ford starter 91 aerostar, it measures 4" at the flange but everything else is identicle, and as well, not enough pinion protrusion.One site says to use a 2.8-2.9 ford starter, they are identicle except they have the ford "flapper" style of pinion actuation. The only way to use these starters is to shim the flexplate away from the converter towards the engine by .500 and I don't want to do that.
    so the question is:
    if all the adapters out there are .500 thick, and using a chevy TH trans, what starter has a longer snout, flange mount, and 10-12 tooth pitch, with a 9-10T pinion???
    Thanks
    Ian

update................figured it out myself........ gm starter.......fast forward 4 months..........almost finished product, now to do the TV cable geometry.........
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stuuder; 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stuuder
    replied
    can anyone tell me for sure if the large center hole in the spacer plate that goes over the crankshaft flange, would indeed be the centerline of the crankshaft (the centre of the hole) in a 6 cyl 170,185,etc???
    thanx
    Ian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stuuder; 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stuuder
    replied
    will give them a try and see what transpires...........never thought about that route...... thanx

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by stuuder View Post
    So.....carrying on.............does anyone in our Studedom have the block bellhousing bolt patterns for the 170,185,245, sixes and the 259-289 v8's?? Surely there must be some drawings and dimensions somewhere?? Also crankshaft flange diameters and bolt pattern??
    Heres a site I found in my travels for SBC bellhousing pattern which in turn would be any TH auto with the chevy, not BOP pattern.....my 200-4R has both patterns, also I have found that the chevy crankshaft flange bolt pattern is 3.580"(pre '85)'86 up is 3" bolt pattern , and that the common flexplate is 168Tooth 14" dia

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=59858
    If you have the part numbers for either the block or the engine plate that fits between the block and bellhousing, you can see if the Studebaker National Musuem can provide a copy of the blueprint. From the blueprint you can get the pattern and dimensions. Same thing for the crankshaft. Might be kinda pricey depending on how many blueprints you need tho.......

Leave a comment:

• stuuder
    replied
    So.....carrying on.............does anyone in our Studedom have the block bellhousing bolt patterns for the 170,185,245, sixes and the 259-289 v8's?? Surely there must be some drawings and dimensions somewhere?? Also crankshaft flange diameters and bolt pattern??
    Heres a site I found in my travels for SBC bellhousing pattern which in turn would be any TH auto with the chevy, not BOP pattern.....my 200-4R has both patterns, also I have found that the chevy crankshaft flange bolt pattern is 3.580"(pre '85)'86 up is 3" bolt pattern , and that the common flexplate is 168Tooth 14" dia.

Update: Thanks to Bob Johnstones web sit I found the Stude V8 crankshaft flange OD is 3.8095-3.8105", bolt circle diameter is 3.1245", bolt hole diameter is .374-.37525, center pilot hole is .9365-.9375 and that the bolt spacing is uneven, 6 bolt holes spaced @ 64 degrees,56degrees,60 degrees. Anyone have a 6 banger crank flange they would care to measure the next time they are in the garage.. :-)

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=59858
    Last edited by stuuder; 08-10-2010, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• royvaldez
    replied
    I would buy a plate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X