Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Installing Hawk Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Hawk Grill

Getting near completion on my 58 Hawk and ready to install that center,
    heavy grill; its been ages since the car was taken apart and I'm not sure
    if there are supposed to be rubber grommets. gaskets or whatever to reinstall.
    The chassis manual is not of much help; can someone tell me what goes between the
    grill and hood sheet metal, if anything? the hood has large oval holes and the grill just has small studs that go into the (much larger) holes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Joe D.

No rubber of any kind, flat washer on the stud, than the nut, adjust in the hole to center in opening.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Believe you are missing those 10 p/n 286847, "Special Stool" (as Studebaker called them). They are just small "off-set" little brackets. I can take a pic. of some and post if needed, just let me know.
      Last edited by Welcome; 07-05-2010, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Do not overtighten it. You can distort the grille. I often see other pot metal trim that is distorted because someone tightened it too much on installation.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, welcome I would "welcome" any pics you have of those brackets. Thanks,

Joe D.

Comment

Get some BLUE 3M masking tape and tape around the front of the opening for the grille. Work with another person to align the grille. The hood is very flimsy without the grille and you would swear the holes moved. Once you have the grille sitting into each hole, remove the tape that prevented scratching or chipping of the paint. The grille will hold it's position so there is no need to tighten it to the point where you begin to deform the paint around the locating holes. Under a rare circumstance there might be a chance where you will need to "open" one or two of the holes. This is caused by the hood being allowed to sit without tension to it.

Comment

Originally posted by valleyguy View Post
              Yes, welcome I would "welcome" any pics you have of those brackets. Thanks, Joe D.
              Joe, do these 10 little things look familiar to you???
              Last edited by Welcome; 07-06-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Indeed they do; I was wondering what those buggers were for!
                Thanks,

Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                X