No announcement yet.

Inside door handle removal

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Inside door handle removal

    My 78 Avanti II drivers side elect window is stuck inside the door all the way open. Must have come off the track. I see all the screws to remove the panel but was told I need a special tool to get the door handle off. What is this tool and how to do I get the handle off to remove this panel ? Thx for any help in this matter. Jerry.

  • #2

    Something like this. SI has them for $4.50. You just push this in behind the escutcheon and it pushes the clip that holds the handle on. When reinstalling, insert the clip into the handle, slide handle onto shaft and give it a firm whack.

    Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process


    • #3
      Tool is also available at local parts stores
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD


      • #4
        Be careful pushing the clip out. They can disappear really fast!! [xx(]



        • #5
          Thanks to all for the quick reply. I searched the SI parts list and could not find this item. Does anyone know their part # and where it is found on their web site ? Also, if my window motor is bad, where can I find a replacement and a cost ?

          Thx again,


          • #6
            Page 83 of both there on line catalog and their printed one...


            BTW, I've removed many Stude door handles and window riser handles (and replaced them) and never used this tool. Takes about 3 times as long, however

            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA


            • #7
              Looks like an old C#$%&^%^t door handle remover. Available at most auto parts stores.


              • #8
                quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

                Looks like an old C#$%&^%^t door handle remover. Available at most auto parts stores.
                Exactly. GM used this style for years. You can usually find them on a J-card in the HELP! section


                Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

                Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" |


                • #9
                  Wal-Mart Auto zone O'Rileys any auto parts store has them.While your there pick up a package of c clips usualy has 4 in it, for under a buck. Gremlins love them

                  David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.