Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 performance cam question/idea.

Hey guys,

Me and my dad might be getting another stude (Mom says we have to get the house painted, and a fence built first, fun fun! LOL!) It's a 52 Commander 4 door, with a automatic; and comes with a '51 front clip. (I REALLY like that last part! I want to make it look like a '50 up front when I'm done.)

Anyways, has anyone ever put a R1 cam in a 232? Or something along the same lines? I haven't seen alot of 232 performance stuff, so just wondering. I'm curious about how it would do with a Stu-V manafold, R1 cam, and later 259-289 heads. What are your guys's thoughts?
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

You'll want to put on a pair of 259 heads, the valves in the 232 heads are just barely adequate to run, nevermind perform.

Comment

I figured so. All you have to do to match those on is match the pushrods isn't it? I know I heard it somewhere, but I can't quite remember.
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

A correct intake manifold will also be required....larger ports to match the heads...

Mike

Comment

On my 51 I went with later heads, exhaust manifolds, but retained the stock intake. I also added dual exhaust. It made a very noticable differnce.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Please do not do this. The 232 was famous for eating cams, brand new stock ones. The later engines had a much lighter valve train, and is much better on modified cams. For about the same money, you can just get a 289 and rebuild it. This way, you can continue to drive the car while you get the rebuilt engine ready for it. If I can't dissuade you from your plan, you will need the 259 heads with some valve work, new push rods from a 259, and the 259 exhaust manifolds. If you do not intend to turbo or supercharge the engine, you won't gain much from the Avanti cam, other than a great sound at idle.

Comment

Ok, thanks guys!

On the cam eating though; I was led to believe that was because of the original stock cams being to "soft" for the application, right? So wouldn't a new reproduction be ok?

Thanks again!
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Really... rather than go through all this trouble, just pull the engine out, pop either a good 259 or 289 in there and sell the 232 to someone who needs an original 232. If you are worried about too many busy bodies seeing what you have done, just shorten the hood prop rod a few inches so that it discourages too close an examination when the hood is up. Probably 90 percent of those looking will never notice.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've heard the newer heads needed modification to fit on the 232,anybody have some input on this?
                  36 Dictator cpe
                  36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                  37 Coupe express R-2
                  50 Champion convert
                  54 champion cpe
                  59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                  63 Custom R-2
                  63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                  63 Avanti R-2
                  63 Avant1 R-2
                  64 Commander R-1
                  64 Challenger R-3
                  58 Packard hawk
                  64 Champ
                  2-63 Wagonaire's
                  62 E40 Transtar
                  55 3/4 T pickup
                  64 Daytona
                  Brand X :
                  70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Really... rather than go through all this trouble, just pull the engine out, pop either a good 259 or 289 in there and sell the 232 to someone who needs an original 232. If you are worried about too many busy bodies seeing what you have done, just shorten the hood prop rod a few inches so that it discourages too close an examination when the hood is up. Probably 90 percent of those looking will never notice.
                    I know what is easier, but the challenge of the 232 is pretty great. I want something different, more so than any belly button Stude V8! LOL!!
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

The R1 cam should work fine in your engine, I have a feeling and I may be wrong, that the later 259-289 heads have larger combustion chambers which would lower your compression ratio. They also have larger intake and exhaust ports necessitating the use of the later intake and exhaust manifolds, larger ehxaust pipes and a larger carb to gain any benefit from the later heads. Bud

Comment

I think they will lower it too, but I could always bring it back up. I've "thought" about blowing it too, since we got a forlorn turbocharger off a 2.2 liter Plymouth Caravel (Still wish my dad didn't sell that, it could GO!).

Naw, I shouldn't, but it would be really cool!
                        Dylan Wills
                        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Really, the person you should ask your cam questions to is Ted Harbit. At one time he held all the records in his class with a 232, so they closed off his class because nobody could beat him. The softer steel in the cam was only part of the problem, and the arsenic-nitride treated cams were an easy fix. When they redesigned the engine for the 1955 year, they modified the lifter train to lighten it up. That finally solved the problem. The Avanti cam is made to open the valve sooner, hold it higher for a longer time, and close it quicker. Not what you want in a 232.
                          As to the 259 heads, you can use them without any modification, as long as you also use the exhaust manifolds for the 259. You would also do well to change out the intake manifold, but that really isn't necessary. I speak from experience, I have done something very similar to my 51 Commander.

Comment

Doh! I forgot about that!

I'm not down talking you, I'm just asking questions, it's the way I learn. I've never had the chance to play with a 232, so I'd like to do it myself.
                            Dylan Wills
                            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I know what is easier, but the challenge of the 232 is pretty great. I want something different, more so than any belly button Stude V8! LOL!!
                              The 232" is literally the least desirable of all the Stude V8s. Small bore, small valves, small ports.

Bottom line, no one will really know block you've got in your Stude. If you want to do it the hard way, go for it. If you want the most performance for your dollar, take the advice.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X