No announcement yet.

Need recommendations for a car-hauling trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question is what is so bad about surge brakes? If you have a truck that will handle it. I have had 3 axle stock trailers behind mine and had no problems.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

My question is what is so bad about surge brakes?
      1. Only nine states allow them: Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas.

2. They do not comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations

3. You can't apply them from the cab (ever have a trailer start swaying on you?)

4. They apply when you don't want them to (going down a hill and backing up)

5. Can't be quickly adjusted for loads and conditions like electric brakes.

Hey, there are folks that have pulled big trailers with NO brakes and had no problems. That doesn't mean it was safe for them and others on the same roads.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

An UPDATE

Okay, here goes. I got a price on the PJ 18ft trailer. Dual axle electric brakes, tilt down off loading $3200, with ramps $2995.

Here is my conclusion. The extra $900 over what everyone is saying is normal, is the cost of delivery to the East Coast. It is that simple. Bargins can be had if you have the time to drive half way across the US. The PJ at $2300 is fair, looks excellent, and looks desirble, but the premium is in the cost of obtaining it. I guestimate that if I drove to wherever they are made I could get a good deal. But, the cost and time to go to the plant evens out the price.

On another post Jeff R. (Deepnhock) posted about getting the Prodigy brake kit. He said it was a good deal at $149.00. The guy near me sells it for $110, plus in speaking with the dealer, he stated that if I kept it for two years and used it a lot, I could re-sell it for about 2/3 of what I paid new......Yeah I know..........get that in writing.

But we are getting closer

BG

Comment

PJ makes both a 6" channel and a 5" channel 18 footer. Make sure they are quoting the 5" channel. It is more than enough.

The 5" channel PJ's are made in Mexico (I know...good news for some bad news for others). Mine was $2300 delivered in Bellingham, WA. I believe that is probably the same distance from the factory as New York. If you want that trailer, shop around. I'll bet you can do better than $3000.

You can't go wrong with the Prodigy brake controller. I love mine. It is really state of the art. It determines how fast the tow vehicle is decelerating and applies the trailer brakes accordingly.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:[ Mine was $2300 delivered in Bellingham, WA. I believe that is probably the same distance from the factory as New York. If you want that trailer, shop around. I'll bet you can do better than $3000.
            Who delivered it? Not kidding. I went to their site, and the only dealer is 101 miles away from me.

BG

Comment

Here is the list I got from PJ

Westview Tractors
              Canterbury, CT
              (860) 546-6277 (phone)
              (860) 546-6563 (fax)
              Located approximately 101 mi from 10595.

The Trailer Connection
              Richmondville, NY
              (518) 294-8800 (phone)
              (518) 294-8800 (fax)
              Located approximately 114 mi from 10595.

Four Acres Trailer Sales, Inc.
              Wilmington, DE
              (302) 994-1500 (phone)
              (302) 994-1588 (fax)
              Located approximately 135 mi from 10595.

The first fellow Westview, I spoke with quoted the $2995 and $3200
              I cannot figure it, unless they delivered to you from their Canadian outlet.

BG

Comment

Bill,
                I pulled my receipt. Mine is a model PJ 518 DZ-BB and it was $2363.74.

BTW, great article in this month's TW on the Hawk from Hell [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

More info.....getting interesting.

Got a call from the PJ guy. The best he could do on your trailer is $2850. But, he will deliver. I stated the price you paid, and he asked where you were. I said Bellingham Wa. He was upfront, he said that yours might have come from Canada.

Most of the extra cost is for transportation.

What do you do with the trailer when not in use? Garage, cover?

BG

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

More info.....getting interesting.

Got a call from the PJ guy. The best he could do on your trailer is $2850. But, he will deliver. I stated the price you paid, and he asked where you were. I said Bellingham Wa. He was upfront, he said that yours might have come from Canada.

Most of the extra cost is for transportation.

What do you do with the trailer when not in use? Garage, cover?

BG
                    Mine was made in Mexico.

I keep mine in a garage...but I think I might be one of the few that does this. Most sit outside when not used.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X