Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

front suspension for a 59 Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front suspension for a 59 Lark?

Time to rebuild front suspension on my 59 Lark. Wondering if its worth it to re build and do they drive nice when done, or cut out and put in like a mustang IIor custom mod? Is there a Studebaker front suspension kit out there or do I just have to buy piece by piece? Thanks

Originally posted by The Leak View Post
    Time to rebuild front suspension on my 59 Lark. Wondering if its worth it to re build and do they drive nice when done, or cut out and put in like a mustang IIor custom mod? Is there a Studebaker front suspension kit out there or do I just have to buy piece by piece? Thanks
    I don't believe that there is a full kit, but I may be mistaken. You're probably better served by going ahead and disassembling it first before you order and assessing the condition of all the parts, because you may not need everything. Could be as simple as replacing the rubber bushings and rebuilding the center pivot, or you could possibly also need trunnions, kingpin bushings, thrust bearings, tie rod ends...

They don't drive like modern cars, but they do pretty well once everything is tight and most importantly well greased.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Nate for the feedback. I'm going to go ahead and tare it down and see what I need. I just want it nice and tight and driving straight! Thanks

Comment

The Studebaker kingpin system may be archaic, but it is sturdy. You will never see a Studebaker alongside the road with a wheel cocked out 45 degrees due to a broken ball joint.
        Phantom does sell a complete supposedly bolt-in kit with rack and pinion, etc. Ask Pat Drnec how easy his was to install (not).
        Last edited by 53k; 06-10-2010, 01:39 PM.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I can't remember what years used needle bearings in the kingpin and center pivot, but be aware when disassembling that they may be there - they have loose needles like a U-joint.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

FWIW, the Studebaker front suspension with all new wear parts will ride and drive better than most of the hot rod front clip jobs I've seen over the years. This is from a guy who has built many hot rods. I kept the Stude front suspension in my personal hot rod Hawk. It will also cost less to rebuild and will be worth more on resale than a modified car.

thnx, jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Go for the rebuild of the Stude front end! It's not cheap, but cheaper that an aftermarket kit or stub,and certainly easier. A machine shop can help press in new kingpin bushings, and ream them for a perfect fit, too. If you follow the shop manual it is not too bad, and all the parts are available from Stude Vendors.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, started taking the clip off today to tear the suspension down. I'm going with the Studebaker way and it will be great! Thanks again.

Comment

Here is where i'm at right now. http://www.flickr.com/photos/korbacustoms/4690106804/

Comment

You can get the delrin bushings it a kit.
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment