Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

gas tanks again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tanks again

has anyone here tried the POR 15 gas tank kits for gas tanks?

36 dictator
    48 starlite
    50 starlite
    48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

do a search here for "draino". I and friends have used it several times to clean a tank and then just went with bare metal so as nothing will flake off ever again inside the tank. A dash of Marvel Mystery oil in the tank at fill up will keep the inside fresh..................Brad

Comment

Since I'm on a budget, I'm going to give the draino a shot at the Larks tank from what I can see from where you put the gas in I can see just a tiny bit of rust. IF that doesnt do the trick the radiator guy down the street said it would clean and seal it for a $100.00 either way the tank should be good to go.

Randy_G
      South Bend or Bust 2007!
      God I miss chrome on cars.
      www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

I have done 5 tanks now with the pore-15, I remove the tanks and put about a quart of solvent and a tow chain in the tank and roll it around to remove as much lose rust as possible, very important to let the tank dry, very, very dry, several days , at this point I add about a quart of the por-15, and slowly roll the tank over until all surfaces are coated , patience required, this coating can be viewed with a mirror on a wand, available in most auto parts stores, I than let it dry for a week before installing it in the car again.The por-15 will also close small pinholes, use caution not to plug any plumbing. Pour any excess out and dispose of it , do not add it back to your good paint. It has been more than 2 years on the first tank with no problems. Ventilation is very important as many of you already know. Allen

http://i162.photobucket

Comment

I used the POR 15 gas tank kit on my 63 Lark. After using the cleaning agent supplied, I still had to have the tank boiled out at a local radiator shop. The POR 15 sealant worked well, just follow directions. I plan to do a 1955 gas tank next, I will have the tank boiled out ($40) and use the POR 15 sealant.

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
          55 Speedster (in work)
          63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
          64 Avanti R2 (completed)
          85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
          89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

With any tank sealant, it's important to keep the pick-up from getting clogged. Just blow air into the fuel outlet before the sealant sets.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
            X