Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight and dimensions

Howdy All,
    I am a new member and need to know the weight and over all size of my 1950 Champ 2 door sedan for trailering purposes.
    Would appreciate very much if someone can give me the info right away, as I am looking at trailers.
    I have never seen my "new" baby, she is in Michigan and I am having difficultygetting a shipper to pick her up...so am considering buying/renting a trailer and going after her.
    THANKS-A-LOT

I am sorry I do not have access to any exact factory weights and sizes, but I have never found it to be a big deal when buying or renting a trailer, because it is just an average "used to be" size 1950's car, it is no longer than 17 feet and no heavier than 3300 Lbs. which should be easy to fit since most 4 wheel tandem trailers are built for at least a Pickup Truck that is way wider and heavier than a Stude. and will have adequate brakes as well.

When you have unknown Tires, Wheels, Wheel Bearings, Axles, Brakes etc. it is a good idea that you have chosen to Safely haul it on a Trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground, and no issue with proper current licenses.
    Good luck with your retrieval!

However, these people have hauled many Studes. and will be way cheaper than buying a Trailer and all the fuel to go from Oregon to Michigan and back!

and a good local one: http://kiwiskarriers.kiwisautokarriers.com/
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks StudeRich!!

Comment

Someone with 1950 manuals could help him. My 47-49 shop manual gives overall length with bumpers and bumper guards at 192 3/4". 1950 should be somewhat close. Weight must be listed somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks Kurtruk (is that describing an engine sound? " it was making a kertruk, kertruk").
          Love the pic of the kid under the Stude!

Comment

I brought my 62 Hawk back from behind the cheddar curtain (Wisconsin) three weeks ago on a regular UHaul flatbed car trailer.
            It is no heavier than your forthcoming car.
            It worked out just fine - they are inexpensive to rent and have come a long way in the past decade or two - the ramps are integrated and slide out easily, the fenders fold down so you can open the car door, and the brakes worked fine.

You might be able to find a one-way that needs to be returned in Chicago and save yourself some money. You probably wont find one in Michigan as few folks are moving to Michigan.

Bets of luck
            sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

Why don't you just measure the car??????????/
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Cuz the car is in Michigan and I am in Oregon. Needed a quick answer and the 89 year old Lady is not able to measure it soon enough as it is not stored near enough to her..
                A good thought though.
                Thanks

Comment

It was too obvious a question not to ask.
                  Good answer.
                  My Moloney book doesn't give the weight for the two door, but lists the biz coupe at 2640 lbs and the four door sedan at 2750.
                  Lets estimate the two door at 2700 lbs.
                  I don't have a dimension reference other than a wheelbase of 113".
                  Good luck

LP
                  sigpic
                  Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

It will go on a U-haul auto transport. Fits great and balances nicely. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X