Oil fill tube-help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil fill tube-help!

I have a freeze plug leaking on my 1957 silver Hawk. It has the flathead 6 engine. I don't have a shop manual( on order)and the plug that's leaking is right behind the oil fill tube. Please tell me I don't have to pull the oil pan to get it out! I got to get this car running--weather's nice & I want to go drivin'

As always---Thanks in advance---Dan Ward

Just pull the tube, it's a interference fit. (Strap wrench or pipe wrench if you don't mind the scratches.)

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

There is a diagram in an old service bulletin with dimensions to make a two-piece hardwood clamp with two through-bolts. That was intended to be used as an installation tool, but it should work either way. The bottom of the hole is stepped so the tube can only go to the correct depth.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Check the location of the bolts that hold on the generator mount. One lines up with the tube. Sometimes a slightly too long bolt gets put in here and can keep you from ever getting the fill tube out. back out that bolt first. Tap on the lower part of the tube with a rubber mallet on the front and rear of the tube. When it begins to rock a bit you should be able to pull it out fairly easily. Just go easy so you can reuse the tube.

Comment

Working...
        X