Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

More on Avanti Power Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Avanti Power Steering

Okay, had good working power steering on my '74 Avanti II except, of course, the piston/ram/cylinder was leaking. Sooooo, I took it off, with no issues I might add, cleaned it out, got a repair kit, removed the circlip, starwasher, rubber wiper, plastic ring and seal, all without issue. Put in the new seal (in the right direction), new plastic ring, new rubber wiper, new star washer and new circlip. Put it back in place. Topped off the fluid in the pump. With the wheels off the ground, turned the wheels by hand back and forth. Started it up, checked for leaks (found none, yay), turned the wheels back and forth several times, cracked the lines at the cylinder to bleed it out: all seemed well. Checked again for leaks and found none. Put it back down on the ground, went for a test ride and had ABSOLUTELY NO POWER STEERING.
    Brought it back, removed the fluid from the pump, disconnected the lines at the pump, valve and piston, cleared out all of the lines, hand-filled the cylinder, reconnected all the lines, refilled the pump, same procedure again to fill the lines and bleed the air, STILL NO POWER STEERING.
    ANYone have ANY ideas what happened here? All I did (there's a catch phrase that'll get ya every time!) was R&R the cylinder and R&R the seals. What did I do???

Could it be the adjustment nut on the back of the cylinder (cover plate has two
    screws) isnt adjusted tight enough (or loose - not sure which it is).

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Look here, last page.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hread.php?2282
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Control valve adjusting nut

Thanx, Tom, don't think it could be the nut, I didn't get into the valve, but ya just never know. I spoke w/a local old-car-guy who tells me there's a control of sorts inside the cylinder that could have gone bad. Don't see how since I didn't 'fix' the inside of the cylinder but I would try anything. Unfortunately, can't figure out how to open the cylinder, tho I don't know if I wanna go that far and don't know what I'd find or what I'd do once I got in there anyway. May hafta buy a new cylinder but can't find where to buy one, or to have this one rebuilt.

Comment

Sorry, I misread your post, I thought you redid the control valve, did you swap
          the hoses by chance? Maybe they are reversed.

Tom

Comment

No, didn't swap the hoses. I did that once on a Lincoln Mark III and had the wheels swinging violently back and forth uncontrollably so that's not it. With the cylinder disconnected from the center link, the wheels will turn and the cylinder rod goes back and forth as it should, but when it's connected it doesn't seem to have any ooomph.
            I tried today disconnecting the rod again from the center link. I can push the rod all the way into the cylinder and pull it all the way out (with the engine not running) with relative ease, a bit of resistance but easily done by hand. Is this normal? Should there be more substantial resistance? Or should I not be able to do that at all?

Comment

With the wheels in the air, I can turn the wheels back and forth with not much resistance,
              but I would assume moving the ram itself, you should have to force the fluid through the
              system, which should give some resistance - more than found turning the wheels alone.

Tom

Comment

That's what I thought, that there'd be quite a bit of resistance trying to move fluid thru the system by pushing/pulling the ram. That tells me that something is not doing what it's supposed to do but I'm stumped trying to figure out what it might be, The control valve only controls the direction of fluid travel, the pump controls the pressure. I'm wondering if there's something inside the cylinder that decided to fail. I'd replace the cylinder if I could find one but have no idea where to look.

Comment

Working...
                X