Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Window trim removal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window trim removal!

Can some one give me a step by step, best way, to remove the stainless trim around the rear window on a '56 Hawk. Want to remove the rear window and replace the gasket. Don't want to bend up the trim.
    Thanks.

John Ratliff

if it is just in the old gasket then cut inside the old gasket with a sharp knife and remove the glass and trim.
    Rob

Comment

John, this trim isn't MEANT to come off by itself. It goes ON with the gasket and glass and comes OFF with the gasket and glass. Same for the front windshield too.
      Rob's right - if you're gonna replace that gasket - CAREFULLY cut the inner lip away, being extra careful anywhere it overlaps the headliner.[:0] An old, age-hardened gasket can be a real buggar to get out intact!
      But - back to the trim. You'll distort it to where it'll be worthless if you think you can get it out by itself![xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

the trim has a lip ("L" shape) on it that matches a recess in the rubber - when replacing the window, the trim actually helps hold the rubber to the glass. Cut the rubber across the top and part way down the sides from the inside very carefully - might try wiping some vaseline on the utility knife blade as it will cut with less drag from the rubber. If you cut part way through the rubber you may be able to peel the cut portion off

Comment

Another note: repro rubber is often a little oversized, but it has been getting better in recent years. If you can I'd buy direct from Fennessey because being the source he probably has the latest repro's. Alternately you could see if SASCO still has NOS original rubber.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Ok lets see if I got this right? If you put it all together and push it in, you should be able to push it out? But I am to cheap/scottish to get new rubber when I can clean and glue the cracks on the old one. Can I expect to get the window out, in one unbroken piece? How best to go about it and then back in after its all clean sealed rust free.

My 1955 Commander

AKA Burnie

Comment

Burnie, you can only be a scot so much! Buy the new rubber weatherstrip! Trust us, it is the only way you can do it without breaking the backglass or some other disaster that will only add to your frustration & everyone saying "I TOLD YOU SO"

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
              X