'50 champion side glass issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '50 champion side glass issues

Ok, I'm in process of reassembling my '50 champ 2-door sedan after some long needed paint and body work and I've run into some issues with the rear side glass. Last spring I sent my old glass with the bottom chanels (for lack of a better term) attached, to my local glass shop to have some new tinted glass installed. Here is were my issues arise. The glass shop seemingly did a decent job putting everything together.....untill last summers heat came in. In the summer heat the glass started to come out of its chanels. Seems the glass shop thought black tape and setting tape was an approved method of making everything stay. So now I'm faced with re-seting the glass but Im not sure of where the chanels need to be put on the quarter windows. The front windows are pretty self explanitory but the rears have some room to move.

The gist fo what i'm asking is, is there anyone that happens to to have a widow out of a car to get some measurements for me? I'm gonna use a different shop this time and make sure they do it right! I'm tired of re-doing the poor work of others. Oh and does anyone have any tips as to how to get everything back in the car properly? The shop manual is really of no help.

Thanks alot y'all!
    Brad
    KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
    1964 Cruiser
    1946 M16

Brad,

I am just finishing up my 1950 Champion 2-door sedan. I took lots of pictures as I tore things apart-but not enough! Anyway, I took a look at my pictures of the rear side windows and it appears that the glass is centered in the metal channel from end to end=same amount of glass extending out from either end.

I will be glad to help if I can. I have learned a lot the hard way, but now am better prepared to help others,I think?

The picture with my signature is how the car looked in 1988. We decided to sell in 1992 to buy Ham equipment. By the summer of 2007 the buyer had died and we decided to buy it back. It was in need of lots of repair inside and out. I took it all apart down to the frame and had it sandblasted. I have lots of pictures of the various steps I have taken in redoing it. I have the outside finished and have the seats and the back side panels finished. Yesterday I finished up most of the wiring and had my wife come to the shop so I could turn the lights on and use the dimmer switch and had her put her foot on the brake to see the glow of red on the garage door behind her. I will shut up now. Let me know if I can help and I will do my best.

Jim, N9PRZ
    Judy, N9PUI
    My son Patrick, N9PRY
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Brad, try searching with Jimmie's name for a thread about a month ago. We had quite a discussion about this issue.

Comment

The glass extends out the same amount on each end of the channel. I am about finished with my 1950 Champion too.

N9PRZ
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana
        1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Jimmie, thanks for the quick info. I had taken lots of pictures also but after the first few years and a move, I was more concerned with getting it together than with taking pictures. As Bob sugested, I will take another look at the old posts. On a side note.....I don't think I would be able to sell my poor old car for radio gear. But in the end I guess you got the best deal since the car came home!
          Brad
          KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
          1964 Cruiser
          1946 M16

Comment

Working...
          X