Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Save those wipers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• showbizkid
    replied
    Thanks, Nate. You helped nip a bad idea in the bud, there

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    I think the blades are the same, but changed to matte finish for '66 - but the arms sweep the opposite direction, so even if they are the same length, the angle at the end will be wrong. Next time you see an Avanti, check it out - the wipers are exactly opposite pretty much any parallel-sweep wiper setup on any LHD car. Only other cars I can think of that use a similar configuration are some Mercedes-Benz and Porsches (I may be forgetting some though.)

nate

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Slightly OT, but related: Will Avanti wiper arms fit '63-up Lark types?

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    If you know what you're looking for you can often pick up good used but polishable ones for cheap at a swap meet (e.g. York or Reedsville) if you can't go I would give Tom Karkiewicz a call, I bet he has some.

nate

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    I just don't want to use those universal arms that have the little round adjuster for fixing the angle of the wiper. I hate the look of those.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    If you don't need to be 100% correct, I've been told that the 56-64 Hawk wiper arms have more spring pressure than the '55 arms and the blades that go with them are 1" longer (12" vs. 11") this came up a while back in one of the Carrera Panamerica threads, someone was fielding a '55 coupe race car and specifically mentioned swapping the wipers to the later ones. (I know you said sedan, but I think the wipers/arms are the same. Don't have parts books to check.) the later ones are somewhat easier to find at swap meets.

It may be my imagination but it does feel to be the case when I compare the original arms on my '55 to the Hawk ones that are on it now. Somewhere I have some Trico catalog sheets that might have the information on what the spring pressure is supposed to be, but they're packed away.

nate

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    Well,
    I rebuilt the wiper blades on Ole Yeller (55 sedan) this morning by stripping out the old rubber from the metal carrier & installing a new rubber robbed from some generic refills I had picked up at a sale a long time ago (I had to cut an "extra" strip off the back side of the rubber).

Unfortunately found that the spring was broken & gone from the drivers side wiper arm. Anyone know where to find a replacement spring & the little metal bracket that hooks on at the back? You would think I've have some spares laying around here somewhere, but I can't find them (we moved to the farm 10 years ago & I seem to have put some stuff up really good....).
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Well, it seems this "classic" trico blade has the same dual mounting setup as the old 'yard find one I re-bladed and have on my '53 but looks like the frame/fingers/? is different. So, it would fit on my car's arms. These seem to run about $14 each.

The OEM application lists these for mid 60s dodge trucks and ford broncos.

The 11" ones look the same only P/N 33-110. 10" ones are 33-101 oddly.

The mount style that fits on my car looks like the short one in Nate's picture. The ends of the arms have a 1/2 moon "dip" in them with a little pin on the end.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-04-2010, 11:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Mute
    replied
    RAINEX is the answer... once you find the right wiper blades; you will almost never have to use them.
    CAUTION do not apply the stuff to a windshield on a Class C motorhome.... wind turbulance will swirl the raindrops and it is almost impossible to see out... even lacquer thinner won't easily remove the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    Greetings, Paul! This week-end it will rain as it's the Barrie Old Car Flea Market. Never fails. I'll try to get there tomorrow and see if there are any Stude vendors. It would be nice to see Roy Graham out, again. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    Coincidentally, I have to replace my wiper blades. (leaking transmission oil from a car stored overhead will do it)

Two years ago, the blades only were very easy to find. Now, NADA. (i.e. nothing, not NAPA) All the blades now come pre-assembled, are outrageously priced, and are not available in 12 " lengths anyway.

I found some discontinued ones (in a bargain bin, no less - yes, call me a CASO), and I will have to cut them down. I may need them this weekend. I hope not.

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    here's the pics, if you don't like clicking links:

BTW, if anyone has a good pic of an original '55 wiper blade, I wouldn't mind seeing it...

nate

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    Those of you with pickup trucks and know what the correct wipers are supposed to look like, please take a look at the link below and let me know if the 10" blade shown is in fact correct or if I just wasted $2 worth of rubber on refilling an aftermarket blade

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/wipers/wipers.html

thanks

nate

Leave a comment:

• Relark
    replied
    Originally posted by N8N View Post
    Rich, I'm not trying to torque off any vendors here, it just seems that I can often find original blades for dirt cheap and I just like using original stuff! (what's a CASO again?)

I *can* tell the difference between a repro blade and an original one... not that the repros are bad, and I dare anyone to tell the difference from five feet away. No, I don't feel like being a judge :P (and besides, the day someone actually gets points deducted for non-original but polished stainless blades is a day I don't really want to see. I do this stuff for me, not for judges...)

nate
    Way to go, Nate

Art Rigsby

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    Jeff,

I believe those are aftermarket, but I wouldn't swear to it. They look very close to the ones used on 56-64 Hawks. The attachment is called "wrist action" from what I've been able to glean from the web. 56-64 used the other attachment point, called a "bayonet" attachment. In fact the only difference that I can see between those and the original 56-64 ones is the dual attachment.

As a general follow up I was over at JDP's today and rummaged through his wiper shelf and managed to find a 10" long wiper with a "wrist action" attachment - could this be for an early 2R truck maybe? I also removed one of the wipers from my '55, but it's correct for 56-64 (I changed to '56-64 arms and blades because they're easier to find, 1" longer, and I remember reading in a Carrera report in TW that one team running a '55 did the same thing because the later arms had stronger springs and therefore the wipers worked better.) Both the 10"-maybe-2R and 12" Hawk blades can also be refilled with the part numbers that I mentioned above. I will have to take pictures later and post for you all to critique because now I am curious if the 10" one is in fact an original wiper blade.

The ones that I thought were original '55 blades in my own stash on a second look appear to be very nice aftermarket ones, so I don't even have an example of those, but if the correct ones are Trico and similar to all the other ones I think they can be refilled this way as well.

edit: Jeff, I have a hunch that if you can find a NOS pair of Trico RB-11 those would be the same as what originally came on the car; that is only a hunch however. There are a handful on eBay now. Of course, if your current wipers are still working well, there's really no need to worry about it unless you absolutely have to be correct, *and* you trust my hunches

nate
    Last edited by N8N; 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM. Reason: additional info

Leave a comment:

Working...
X