Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some help and ideas quick please! '66 is dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edpjr
    replied
    The replacement parts were exactly the same as the originals. I used to work in auto parts back in the 1970s. So I was doubly careful to be sure everything was correct. We have a local clutch and brake rebuilder. They have not tried to sell me any new parts, because everything checked out good. They performed measurements and miched everything including flywheel. We're working on the adjustment theory now. Jon Myer told me to check the z-bar, ball pivot, fork, etc. for damage. Thank you for the detailed info about the adjustment.

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
    Yes the flywheel for a 194 needs to be stepped. The clutch is so small that it will not engage and hold and last without the stepping. I step mine 20 thousands. I need to see a photo of the clutch disk that you used and the throwout bearing. I do not remember my sedan using a long throwout bearing but it is very possible that you are using the wrong clutch disk. The disk that you need has a very short center hub and if you are using the wrong one there can be problems. I have had to have the outside center of a clutch disk machined down on a lathe because the correct disk was not available. The pressure plate also could be the culprit as AMC used the same pressure plate and it could well be that you have the wrong one with not enough pressure.

Leave a comment:

• studebakerkid
    replied
    It could also be that you are mis agusting the clutch linkage and not giving the propper clearance. The linkage in these models has two places for ajustment. Some folks adjust the freeeplay on the pedal linkage and this is the wrong place. The freeplay must be adjusted on the lower linkage against the clkutch fork so that the fork linkage has the freeplay. If ytou do it the other way around it is possible to notr have the propper free play at the clutch fork yet feel freeplay at the clutch pedal ant gthis will burn a clutch out fast.

Leave a comment:

• studebakerkid
    replied
    Yes the flywheel for a 194 needs to be stepped. The clutch is so small that it will not engage and hold and last without the stepping. I step mine 20 thousands. I need to see a photo of the clutch disk that you used and the throwout bearing. I do not remember my sedan using a long throwout bearing but it is very possible that you are using the wrong clutch disk. The disk that you need has a very short center hub and if you are using the wrong one there can be problems. I have had to have the outside center of a clutch disk machined down on a lathe because the correct disk was not available. The pressure plate also could be the culprit as AMC used the same pressure plate and it could well be that you have the wrong one with not enough pressure.

Leave a comment:

• Neal in NM
    replied
    Are you sure it should be a stepped flywheel? I resurface flywheels all the time in my shop and from my experience stepped or cupped flywheels are usually found on foreign vehicles and some industrials, especially from your vintage. In my opinion they have become more popular with domestics within the past twenty years probably due to the mergers of car companies. The only STUDEBAKER flywheel I have resurfaced (to my knowledge) was my own and it was flat. Neal

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    I can't figure out how to add pix on this silly new forum format either.

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
    I didn't fair very well in taking pictures. the one shot from above shows a tape measure along side the adjustment rod & it is approx. 7 1/2 inches long at it's current setting. I can't figure out how to post the picture here (I'm not good at computers. When I hit the insert image, it asks for my url something or another....

When you put the car together, did it have that 1 or 2 inches of free play before the T.O. bearing touched?
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    I didn't fair very well in taking pictures. the one shot from above shows a tape measure along side the adjustment rod & it is approx. 7 1/2 inches long at it's current setting. I can't figure out how to post the picture here (I'm not good at computers. When I hit the insert image, it asks for my url something or another....

When you put the car together, did it have that 1 or 2 inches of free play before the T.O. bearing touched?
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    Thanks. I talked with John Myer today and he gave me a list of items; z-bar, ball pivot, fork, etc. that might be the culprit.

Unfortunately, I had to make a run to town & then get some mowing done before I could play. I didn't have time to jack up the car to get some close up shots of the linkage, but I did have time right before it got too dark to look under the hood.

This car (93,000 miles) has a clutch pedal that "touches" about half way down (needs adjustment). Moving the pedal down until you can feel the T.O. bearing touch makes the lower arm of the bell crank (where the rod that goes to the fork attaches) move about 3/4 of an inch. How does yours compare?

I should be able to get it up in the air enough tomorrow evening to get some pic's.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    Unfortunately, I had to make a run to town & then get some mowing done before I could play. I didn't have time to jack up the car to get some close up shots of the linkage, but I did have time right before it got too dark to look under the hood.

This car (93,000 miles) has a clutch pedal that "touches" about half way down (needs adjustment). Moving the pedal down until you can feel the T.O. bearing touch makes the lower arm of the bell crank (where the rod that goes to the fork attaches) move about 3/4 of an inch. How does yours compare?

I should be able to get it up in the air enough tomorrow evening to get some pic's.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    I asked that the fork be double-checked too. The Clutch rebuilder measured and miched everything; flywheel, pp, clutch, etc. and everything appears in order.

After re-reading your original post, I think a couple of clues is that the original clutch failed at only 33k, and the pedal has always been too close to the top of the throw. No chance we're looking at a wrong linkage part being installed on the car or a bent throw out fork?
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    That would sure be a blessing. Thanks!

Not sure how good of a pic I can get, but I'll try to get the parts car commander jacked up enough where i can get the camera in at some different angles tonight.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    Not sure how good of a pic I can get, but I'll try to get the parts car commander jacked up enough where i can get the camera in at some different angles tonight.
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Don't have an answer but am bumping the thread since it's a mystery to me, and am very interested in finding out what the solution will be...

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    We need a pic of the linkage from a '65 or '66 for comparison. Can anyone help? Thanks!

After re-reading your original post, I think a couple of clues is that the original clutch failed at only 33k, and the pedal has always been too close to the top of the throw. No chance we're looking at a wrong linkage part being installed on the car or a bent throw out fork?
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    What is the thickness of the clutch disc lining? The pressure plate is diaphragm type?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X