Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some help and ideas quick please! '66 is dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't fair very well in taking pictures. the one shot from above shows a tape measure along side the adjustment rod & it is approx. 7 1/2 inches long at it's current setting. I can't figure out how to post the picture here (I'm not good at computers. When I hit the insert image, it asks for my url something or another....

When you put the car together, did it have that 1 or 2 inches of free play before the T.O. bearing touched?
    Mike Sal

Comment

I can't figure out how to add pix on this silly new forum format either.

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
      I didn't fair very well in taking pictures. the one shot from above shows a tape measure along side the adjustment rod & it is approx. 7 1/2 inches long at it's current setting. I can't figure out how to post the picture here (I'm not good at computers. When I hit the insert image, it asks for my url something or another....

When you put the car together, did it have that 1 or 2 inches of free play before the T.O. bearing touched?
      Mike Sal
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Are you sure it should be a stepped flywheel? I resurface flywheels all the time in my shop and from my experience stepped or cupped flywheels are usually found on foreign vehicles and some industrials, especially from your vintage. In my opinion they have become more popular with domestics within the past twenty years probably due to the mergers of car companies. The only STUDEBAKER flywheel I have resurfaced (to my knowledge) was my own and it was flat. Neal

Comment

Yes the flywheel for a 194 needs to be stepped. The clutch is so small that it will not engage and hold and last without the stepping. I step mine 20 thousands. I need to see a photo of the clutch disk that you used and the throwout bearing. I do not remember my sedan using a long throwout bearing but it is very possible that you are using the wrong clutch disk. The disk that you need has a very short center hub and if you are using the wrong one there can be problems. I have had to have the outside center of a clutch disk machined down on a lathe because the correct disk was not available. The pressure plate also could be the culprit as AMC used the same pressure plate and it could well be that you have the wrong one with not enough pressure.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

It could also be that you are mis agusting the clutch linkage and not giving the propper clearance. The linkage in these models has two places for ajustment. Some folks adjust the freeeplay on the pedal linkage and this is the wrong place. The freeplay must be adjusted on the lower linkage against the clkutch fork so that the fork linkage has the freeplay. If ytou do it the other way around it is possible to notr have the propper free play at the clutch fork yet feel freeplay at the clutch pedal ant gthis will burn a clutch out fast.
            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
            61 V8 Tcab
            63 Tcab 20R powered
            55 Commander Wagon
            54 Champion Wagon
            46 Gibson Model A
            50 JD MC
            45 Agricat
            67 Triumph T100
            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

The replacement parts were exactly the same as the originals. I used to work in auto parts back in the 1970s. So I was doubly careful to be sure everything was correct. We have a local clutch and brake rebuilder. They have not tried to sell me any new parts, because everything checked out good. They performed measurements and miched everything including flywheel. We're working on the adjustment theory now. Jon Myer told me to check the z-bar, ball pivot, fork, etc. for damage. Thank you for the detailed info about the adjustment.

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
              Yes the flywheel for a 194 needs to be stepped. The clutch is so small that it will not engage and hold and last without the stepping. I step mine 20 thousands. I need to see a photo of the clutch disk that you used and the throwout bearing. I do not remember my sedan using a long throwout bearing but it is very possible that you are using the wrong clutch disk. The disk that you need has a very short center hub and if you are using the wrong one there can be problems. I have had to have the outside center of a clutch disk machined down on a lathe because the correct disk was not available. The pressure plate also could be the culprit as AMC used the same pressure plate and it could well be that you have the wrong one with not enough pressure.
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
              X