Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Slow fuel filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow fuel filling

My 52 Commander is very slow to accept fuel. The gas fills up in the neck and the pump shuts off. I have to fill it very slowly. Could the hose be collapsed? I'll check the hose, but was wondering if there is anything else to check for? I thought gas tanks had a pressure release valve or something but I didn't see one in the chassis manual.
    Thanks,
    Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

No pressure valves or vents in the '52. I would think the hose has collapsed. Another possibility is someone has replaced the original hose with an aftermarket straight piece. There is a slight bend in the original hose which is available from Studebaker vendors (part#531581). If you try to use a straight piece it will immediately restrict itself.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks Brad, I'll check tomorrow. Actually got to drive my car this weekend. Had temps in the 70s, 30 degrees above normal! I got the car last fall and only got to drive it about 5 total miles. Had a bunch of work done over the winter and was very anxious to drive it long enough to at least charge the battery.

1952 Commander Starlight

Comment

OH, yes those silly 'vapor capture boots'...
        Just one more reason I won't look back when I leave this State~
        Thank goodness there are still places you can go that DO NOT use them!!!

StudeDave [8D]
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Another problem you will find, is the rubber pipe section will give if your station has the capture boots on the filler nozzels. The really stiff ones can cause problems with the flexible pipe section, sometimes damaging them. My '62 Champ has this problem. I have to hold the boot back and sloooooooly fill it.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          Lotsa Larks!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yes, Dave, I have to agree, vapour capture boots are just the least of the things I won't miss if I ever escape California.

Lotsa Larks!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
            X