weatherstrip replacement tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weatherstrip replacement tip

I replaced the rubber weatherstrips on my doors yesterday, and I figured out a good way to clean out the old cracked rubber from the channel. I used a hacksaw blade. I have a Stanley "Fat Max" hacksaw blade handle (open-ended). I slid the blade teeth down along the inside edge of the old weatherstrip to cut it loose. Then I pulled off a chunk by hand and slid the hacksaw blade flat under the weatherstrip. I then just pushed it along. I bent up the blade, but it was a small price to pay, since I don't have a chisel or scraper narrow enough to fit in the metal channel. It worked great to scrape off the remnants too. Looking back, it would've helped to sharpen the rounded tip of the blade on a grinder, but it worked well nonetheless. The new weatherstrip is a nice improvement, too. Now my doors don't rattle anymore! I just wanted to share a small triumph in the eternal battle of Man against Machine.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Don't ever streach the new weatherstrip as it will always return to it's original form and pull lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
      I replaced the rubber weatherstrips on my doors yesterday, and I figured out a good way to clean out the old cracked rubber from the channel. I used a hacksaw blade. I have a Stanley "Fat Max" hacksaw blade handle (open-ended). I slid the blade teeth down along the inside edge of the old weatherstrip to cut it loose. Then I pulled off a chunk by hand and slid the hacksaw blade flat under the weatherstrip. I then just pushed it along. I bent up the blade, but it was a small price to pay, since I don't have a chisel or scraper narrow enough to fit in the metal channel. It worked great to scrape off the remnants too. Looking back, it would've helped to sharpen the rounded tip of the blade on a grinder, but it worked well nonetheless. The new weatherstrip is a nice improvement, too. Now my doors don't rattle anymore! I just wanted to share a small triumph in the eternal battle of Man against Machine.
      Great idea, thanks! Which brand of cement/sealer did you use? There's been discussion about some brands not adhering to the rubber on the repro stripping now avaiable.

Art Rigsby

Comment

Art
        I used 3M #08002 (yellow) adhesive. You need to apply it to both surfaces and let it get a little tacky before you adhere it. Be careful not to over-apply, because it looks like boogers are stuck to your weatherstripping if it oozes out. I scraped out the old rubber and used naphtha to get the old adhesive off. I also washed the weatherstrip with dish soap prior to use, to get the silicone off of it. I was also careful not to stretch it, as mentioned. It seems to be holding so far.
        Last edited by Lothar; 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM. Reason: Correct part#
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Sometimes sharpening the blade will leave to more problems, like removing the paint. I sharpen on a grinder, then round off the edge a bit with a file. Hadn't thought of the hacksaw blade idea... The flexibility would be a real plus!

Comment

ReLark
            You asked what I used for cement, and I gave you a wrong #. I used 3M 08002 adhesive (yellow). I found out later that the same stuff is available in clear. It stuck better than black 3M cement (diiferent #).
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
              ReLark
              You asked what I used for cement, and I gave you a wrong #. I used 3M 08002 adhesive (yellow). I found out later that the same stuff is available in clear. It stuck better than black 3M cement (diiferent #).
              Thanks Lothar, getting ready to do the job, won't have to worry if a little clear shows.

Art

Comment

For years I have found that wiping the weatherstrip area your going to place adhesive to with lacquer thinner aids in the adhesion. This goes for masking tape too before paint if your covering the weatherstrip for paint.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                X