Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

4:09 axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4:09 axle

Can anyone advise me of the performance to expect with a 4:09 TT and a Powershift Avanti transmission...how good a launch, top speed, rpm at 70 mph...etc..

Thanks

Barry

Barry Leppan
    Burlington, Ont. Canada
    64 Daytona HT 5-spd
    64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
    Barry Leppan
    Ontario, Canada
    64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
    GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Barry,

What size tires will you be running?

Comment

Once owned a Avanti equipped like that, very quick around town, but about 4000 RPM at 75 MPH, top speed, maybe 110 or so.

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 GT Hawk R2 clone
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have 3.92s in my R2 4-speed Hawk. The Powershift actually has a lower 1st gear than the 4-speed, so it should be very quick off the line. With 27" tall tires I am turning 3500rpm at 70mph. With this setup my car will do just under 120mph at 6000rpm.
        What are your plans for this car? I assume you are talking about your 64 R1.
        David

Comment

You can calculate it here...

http://www.1bad69.com/calc.htm

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Magnum

This is for my 64 GT, have a set of 215/75R/15 Broadway Classics...Goodyear I think..

tks

Barry

Barry Leppan
            Burlington, Ont. Canada
            64 Daytona HT 5-spd
            Barry Leppan
            Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the formula Dick, a really neet tool...,

The car is for 'everyday' use, city and highway,.but still want to have some zip to it..

Bought it last summer and came with a T-10 transplant and the 4:09, and now has the powershift in it...

Was trying to determine if I can leave the 4:09 without 'any issues' or need to go 3:31 or 3:54 range..

tks

Barry

Barry Leppan
              Burlington, Ont. Canada
              64 Daytona HT 5-spd
              Barry Leppan
              Ontario, Canada

Comment

Barry,
                For the calculator, your transmission ratios are 2.40, 1.47, and 1.00

ALL cars are a compromise. With the 4.09's your car will win most stop light grand prix's . It will FEEL quite quick. OTOH, it won't be the best long distance highway cruiser...not terrible, but certainly noisier and less economical than 3.31's or 3.54's.

If I were you, I'd drive it and see if I could live with it. If you actually plan to use the car "every day", 4.09's may not be for you. If you plan to drive 2-3000 miles a year with only an occasional long trip they would probably be fine.

I'm in the process of converting my 3.54's to 4.27's. I had 30,000 miles of fun cruising in this car...time for a change [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Dick

Thanks for the ratios...I was having a little trouble understanding the calculator..

I like your idea of trying it for a while and go from there...for some reason I think 3:54 or 3:73 is the best compromise...

Barry

Barry Leppan
                  Burlington, Ont. Canada
                  64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                  Barry Leppan
                  Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here's a chart for you...RPM's at 70 MPH with your 215/75/15's

4.27 3,600 RPM
                    4.09 3,500
                    3.73 3,200
                    3.54 3,000
                    3.31 2,800

The 500 RPM diff between the 3.54's and the 4.09's is going to be noticeable, but not a night and day difference.

Even with the 4.09's, at 6,000 RPM's you will be doing 120 MPH. How fast do you really want to go ?

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Barry,

Let's see how these 4.09's react. My 3.31's were pretty peppy with my powershift and Modified 289 with R1 cam and Heads. I could easily chirp the tires with every shift. I found that I always used the powershift but then I like the performance. I think you would be better off driving both my car and your car right after one another to judge the performance and then make your decision of which gear ratio your looking for. I think the performance of our engines will be very similar. With your 4.09's You may want to use the power shift in first gear to dart the hawk out on a green light when your beside a punk in a rice burner with the big muffler. On the other hand Carol may well be happy and want to stay in drive. The powershift in drive starts out in 2 gear anyway so she will get plenty of ratio with the 4.09's in drive. As we chatted the other day I may be looking for another Dana 44 to swap out from time to time depending on my mood or when I go racing. With my new R2 under the hood I might not want any more than the 3.31's for daily driving but your 4.09's would make my car roar off the line. I know you have been eyeballing my 3.31's just as I too have been eyeballing your 4.09's. Those 4.09's would be an asset to me when I take my hawk to the PSMCDR next year. You might find you really like them too after driving my car and just keep them.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Ran 4.09s in the Twin for years.It would run 114 out the back door in the 1/4. A good gear to race with. But if you do any amount of freeway driving. You won't like them.I put in a set of 3.73's. It did take a little snap out of low gear.[B)]But it made the car a lot nicer to drive all around. With and auto the 3.54 would work pretty good.Just in! Gear Vendor is making a O/D that will bolt up to the T10. They are sending me some templates to check the clearence in the frame. The down side is it $2600.00

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                        64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                        88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Barry, I can email you a spreadsheet that you can enter your tire size and axle ratio and it'll show you the engine rpm's with whatever type of transmission you have (Ford or DG auto, Stude OD, etc). I have one for Excel and one for Works. Easy to use and easy to compare side by side the result of different tire sizes and ratios. Let me know if it'll help.

Comment

Hi John

Thanks for the offer...Dick gave me a web site for a calculator which sounds similar, however would appreciate it if you could email me the Excel version..

studee64@cogeco.ca

Thanks

Barry

Barry Leppan
                            Burlington, Ont. Canada
                            64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                            Barry Leppan
                            Ontario, Canada

Comment

This discussion kind of begs a question: What are the redlines for the various Stude engines? I can't find that spec in the shop manual.

And why does the manual list horsepower for the V-8s at 40.6 across the board?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                              '63 F2/Lark Standard
                              http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X