Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

motor & transmission match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor & transmission match

I HAVE A 1957 SILVER HAWK WITH A FLATHEAD 6 AND A 3 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION. WILL A STUDE 289 BOLT AND WORK WITH THAT TRANS???
    THANKS!---DAN

quote:Originally posted by DWard

I HAVE A 1957 SILVER HAWK WITH A FLATHEAD 6 AND A 3 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION. WILL A STUDE 289 BOLT AND WORK WITH THAT TRANS???
    THANKS!---DAN
    I believe that the bellhousings are different. Find a 289 with an auto tranny bellhousing and torque convertor, and it ought to work. I think the 6 cylinder tranny is first-gear start, and the V8 tranny normally starts in second, but it ought to work, nevertheless. Stude automatics have a separate bellhousing; just undo the 4 big bolts, and carefully withdraw the input shaft from the convertor. Needless to say, one has to ensure the drive tangs for the front pump are correctly aligned to re-install.

BTW, a 259 will also work fine, and you ought to be able to easily find find a 259+auto from a rusty Lark donor car. You will want the throttle valve linkage for the tranny, too.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The six cylinder transmission will not work with a V8. I've found the best way to do the swap is to buy a rust bucket V8 parts car. You'll need enough parts that'll it be easier and cheaper in the long run to get the V8 engine/trans/rear, drive shaft, brakes and the rest from a donor car.

64 Commander 2 dr.
      64 GT Hawk R2 clone
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      63 Lark 2 door #2
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT
      60 Hawk
      59 3E truck