Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

ID my Hawk PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID my Hawk PLEASE

I just bought, according to the title, a 1960 Hawk. but the more I dig, the more suspect things become. Could someone help me ID this car. Lets start with the basics. The door plate says 60V-59342. under the hood 60V C6 3765. And the engine V5282I8. from what i gather from info on the net, the engine is from a 1961 Lark but I could be wrong! The car has no wings and the turn signals are on top of the front fenders. Above the back window is a wide chrome strip that seems to only be on the earlier cars. The lens on the front turn signals reads 56.Any suggestions?#65532;

serial and body tags indicate a '60 but your description makes me think it's been trimmed as a '56? (only year Hawk I can think of with no fins and stainless band and yes it does have the fender mount turn signals)

What frame is under it? Do you have a one-piece driveshaft or a two-piece with a crossmember for the carrier bearing?

the "V" in the engine number means it's a 259; IIRC '59 was the only year for 259s in Hawks, but it's not a bad engine. However as old as it is it might just be a 259 block used as a replacement block for a 289 build, as the blocks were identical in every way. Pull a spark plug and look at the pistons, if they are dished it's probably a 289. (if they're flat, it could either be a 259 or a 289 with R1 pistons)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Well - the two tags say it's a 60! 60 C6 would be a '60 Hawk, BUT... the stuff you mention as being odd to your Hawk, is just stuff from earlier "C"-body cars. That the basic body dates all the way back to 1953 means it's easy to "customize" without too much effort at all!
      That eng# is indeed from a 1961 (a 259 cu.in. V8), but there's no way you can tell if it started life in a Hawk or Lark. Besides, all car 259s that year would have been identical anyway.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Mach5 welcome to SDC! One of the things that came to my mind when thinking about your car is that one of the biggest changes that Studebaker made between the '56-'58 Power Hawk/Silver Hawk and '59-'61 Hawks is they upgraded the trim level from a 4 to a 6 (60V-C6) that means that you should have all the cool stuff like a color keyed dash & interior (most prior Hawk dashes were all flat black) and other things like Chrome vent window frames, 1/4 window frames, Carpeting even on kick panels wooo!, yea!, '60-'61 even have wheelhouse mouldings.

So it would be easy to tell that this is a '60 not a '56 even without fins and those (ugly?) parking lights in the side grills! [^] I think it would be a neat looking car! [^]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies!! Great info!
          Let me start off with this, N8N it has a one-piece drive shaft and the pistons are dished. Mr.Biggs thanks for confirming the engine stamp! StudeRich It does have all that wooo, yea stuff.
          Can I post pics and if so how?

Comment

To post a pic, go to General Studebaker Discussion, at the top of the page there is a "sticky" that always stays at the top called how to post a pic, that tells you how. It basically requires a Photo Bucket site with pics up on the web to bring em in here.

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich

Comment

If it has a one piece driveshaft that means the chassis, transmission, and driveshaft are all 58 or newer. If you know the difference in rear springs between early and late cars that would be 100% confirmation that it probably is all 1960. (or you could check your "secret serial number" on the rearmost frame crossmember - you will have to remove the gravel deflector - and see if it matches the serial tag on the A-pillar. If it does, then likely it is as I suspect an actual '60 Hawk that's just had some cosmetic backdating.)

Dished pistons say to me that it is a standard 289. Maybe someone done blowed up the original block and just built it back up with the '61 block. Nothing wrong with that, unless the number bothers you. Might want to check the numbers on the carb, distributor, generator, and starter just so you know what you have should you need to order any parts in the future. The late model shop manual I believe has all the numbers in it so you know what to ask for at your FLAPS (i.e. they may not have a listing for an "Autolite GJP-7402E" but "Generator for a '62 Studebaker V-8" may make more sense.)

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Oh, you might be able to answer me a question I wanted to ask... what kind of taillights does your car have? Do each of them have two round lenses? If so, do they look OK without the fins?

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I hope this works http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s267/Mach5_Stude/?action=view&current=DSCF2003.jpg[/img]

Comment

Lookin' at those photos - it's obvious that someone's made a bit of a custom out of your car. Not that bad if it doesn't bother you or you like it that way. It's STILL all Studebaker and that's what matters![8D]
                    That roof band would have a piece at each end that sorta fairs in to the fender-cap stainless pieces. It appears yours doesn't have those and THAT would make me think the band was ADDED from a 55-56 car.
                    The fender-top parking lites. EASILY added if that was someone's idea of cool! And it really ISN'T that objectionable to my eye.

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

At a glance, it would look like a '56 Power Hawk with '60 side grilles, '55 Speedster top stainless and '53-54 taillights. FWIW, I like it.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

Mach5; it has '53 C & K model tail lights, AND those valve covers are '63-'64 type! That could mean a late '62 to '64 full-flow engine, a very GOOD thing! [^]Does it have an oil filter on the right side of engine at the lower rear?

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich

Comment

just FYI the trunk lid is a '56 as well. I still stand by my guess that it's a '60 that someone backdated to look like a '56, although the taillights are even earlier than that. The hood I believe is correct for 57-61, but isn't that attractive

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I have a hood you might want. it has some small bending at the weak point. would be easy to straighten and add the stiffners. come get it before it rust away.

Erin Hays
                            1961 Hawk
                            1962 Lark
                            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I believe that you have a 1960 Hawk that has received a lot of customization with Studebaker parts.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X