Do it yourself wide whites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do it yourself wide whites

I did a search on wide white wall tires and this was listed. Thought everyone might find it interesting.

How to make your own wide white wall tires from any narrow white wall or raised white letter tire. As always, you do this at your own risk.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

That's how they make the radial wide whites, but they have a machine that does it.

64 Commander 2 dr.
    64 GT Hawk R2 clone
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    63 Lark 2 door #2
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT
    60 Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I got exhausted just watching the process. Can you imagine the mess and smell while grinding the tire? Then you have to do it 4 times, or 5 if you want your spare to match.

Very interesting though. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I liked the part where he said, "Sure, the edges are a bit wavy". [:0][:0][:0]

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
        Woodbury, Minnesota
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I would be very concerned with the structural integrity of the tire afterwards! I don't believe that the tire manufactures put any extra material on just for looks. Neal

Comment

Learn something new everyday on this forum

Glen Brose
            East of Chino Valley, AZ
            The Home of "Charlene"
            53 Champion Tudr Sedan

Comment

I must confess, at 160 to 200 dollars a tire (before shipping) I'm tempted.

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Yeah, I'd never put those on MY ride. Maybe if I did a rat rod...

BTW, did you see some of that guy's other Youtube postings? Yikes! Its easy to see why he likes "white" walls.

Mike

Comment

Last year at our orphan car show there was 51 Nash with wide whites done that way. At 20 footer [as JDP says] they looked good. But up close they looked terible. I'd use a paint brush before I would do it. Just my 14 cents worth. [thats how much gas went up today]

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                  As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

There were guys making a living years ago hitting the dealerships and "cutting in" whitewalls. They did it like cutting a flywheel. Stationary cutting tool and a motorized roller turning the tire. The whitewalls were not smooth and didn't stay nice very long.

ErnieR

Comment

While this was loading I decided to do something productive, so I cleaned the oven; took about 45 minutes. I remember the guys Ernie refers to.
                      I still think, when my coupe's done, I'll opt for new WWW's.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I didn't notice Jeff wearing a respirator. Sure hope that he didn't have any breathing issues later on from all of that rubber dust. I know that I would be coughing, still, if I had done that. SAFETY FIRST! [8D]

StudeBakerHarv
                        StudeBakerHarv
                        * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine).
                        * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).
                        * 1960 Lark Regal VIII Convertible.

Comment

In 1971 I went to work for Pennsylvania Tire Company.The way white wall tires are made is that white rubber is added to the carcass before curing.It was a strip about 3/16 of an inch thick.Then it goes thru a high speed buffer that grinds it to the proper width.I wouldn't trust that guys tires on junk yard cars.The side wall thickness is seriously thin.

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Working...
                          X