Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

63 289 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 289 engine

Can anyone help? Is the 289 Stude block and heads an early representation of a ford 289 or chevy 327, or is of no comparison. If you were looking to buy aftermarket, compressor/alternator brackets, any idea of all that are listed, which ones to buy? Thanks for the insight.[]

Studebaker engines are not the same as Chev or Ford. Parts don't interchange. No comparison.
    Klif

55 Speedster
    42 Champ Coupe
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Read this 1000X.....
      Other than being a V-8, a Stude 289 is NOT a ford (or chevy), in any way, shape or form.

If you buy an aftermarket compressor, the only viable option is a Sanden rotary and they have mount tabs on 8 corners, so you shouldn't have any trouble mounting it.

If you have an old generator bracket and a drill, you can mount a Delco alternator without a problem. Probably other ones too, but I only use the cheap stuff.

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Vintage Air sells two styles of brackets, the crank pulley, or the entire AC kit. You can also add the Studebaker parts found on ebay quite often. Vintage Air also sells the Sanden to Studebaker adapter.

64 Commander 2 dr.
        64 GT Hawk R2 clone
        64 Daytona HT
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        63 Lark 2 door #2
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT
        60 Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Our own forum member (railway) has mounts and whatnot to put AC on a Stude as well.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Our own forum member (railway) has mounts and whatnot to put AC on a Stude as well.
            And, he is good to deal with (helpful, knowledgable). I just bought a complete setup from him. I might have gotten it cheaper directly from Vintage Air (and maybe not), but I wanted to be sure I had everything I needed. The evaporator looks a bit like the '64 factory unit, but is more compact.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Let's not forget that railway (Ebon) is a Stude guy, thru and thru. He and his dad both!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X