Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

66 engine swap

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 engine swap

I've got a 66 cruiser with a bad engine and my question is about putting a 230 in place of the 283. It just doesn't look like there is enough room without moving the radiator forward. Did the engine get moved back or was there a different radiator?

quote:Originally posted by nc66

I've got a 66 cruiser with a bad engine and my question is about putting a 230 in place of the 283. It just doesn't look like there is enough room without moving the radiator forward. Did the engine get moved back or was there a different radiator?
    IIRC, the radiator was actually moved forward to make room for the longer six cylinder, by using a different panel behind the grille (the panel that the hood latch bolts to).

Do you have a parts book? If so, you should be able to verify this. If not, let me know and I can check mine.

Where are you located?

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

what's happening Paul it's Mike Teague here. you got a 65chassis manual?

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by nc66

what's happening Paul it's Mike Teague here. you got a 65chassis manual?

Indeed, the radiator does sit a few inches farther forward in a 6 than it does on the V8's. You will have to located a rad saddle and the sheet metal spacer from a '65-6 6-cylinder to make it fit.

Craig.

Comment

You will kill the value by putting a 6 into a V8 car. With the cost
          of a running GM V8 at less then 500 bucks, just get another V8. If
          you are in Southern California, I have a running 305 Chevy that you
          can have for a couple hundred - you pick up! (I will throw in the 350
          transmission for free!)

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

nc66, I'm selling my 66 Cruiser and it runs well and doesn't look too bad. I've got new fenders and front valance and other parts. It does need some floor work and a few other things things, but it's already a driver. I'm in MN. Since these pictures the wheels have all been repainted white, like the originals. I'm asking $2000 for everything. Maybe that would save you the trouble with yours. Plus mine has NOS kingpins installed and disc brakes.

I'm only selling it because I decided to get a older VW bug as a winter driver and something has to go to pay for it.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I'd forget about switching to the inline six, and use a 305 like sbca suggested.

Comment

If you are on a budget .. if you have some extra cash, and want to do
                it "right" then I would rebuild the 283. Its a good engine, with a
                few upgrades that the factory GM's didnt get. Or you can pick up a
                350 engine locally. There are a LOT of options with the GM powered
                65-66 models. I'd be tempted to drop in an LT1 or LS2 crate motor!

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                X