Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine Block ID

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Block ID

I have a new engine block, casting number 1554641
    What is displacement and any details,it has a cover plate on the full flow oil filter pad.

Thanks

BG

Maybe Dwain can tell you more, but casting numbers aren't something we pay much attention to. If it's an 8 cylinder block (you didn't say)(and I'm assuming it's a BARE block here), it could be meant to be a 259 or 289. It wouldn't be defined either way until a crank and pistons were selected. Studebaker only had ONE basic V8 block and it only ever had two basic bore sizes drilled into that same basic block.
    Now if it's a 6-cylinder block, the only thing it could be is a 170 OHV engine because that's the only full-flow 6 they ever built.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Need more info.

Comment

I recognize the casting number as being a late '62,'63 or'64 V-8 full-flow block, but as Biggs said, it could be either a 259 or 289. If it has a metal tag on the top or a box or crate with the Studebaker part number 1558824, it's a 289 if it's 1556232 it's a 259. Also there should be new fitted pistons, rings and pins in the cylinders, just look at the top of the pistons, if they are "dished" it's a 289, if flat it's a 259.
        There is VERY LITTLE chance that it is an Avanti or Jet Thrust replacement block which would be a 289 with flat top pistons, in which case it would NOT have full "skirts" on the wrist pin side.
        Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by bbb

I have a new engine block, casting number 1554641
        What is displacement and any details,it has a cover plate on the full flow oil filter pad.
        Thanks BG
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X